Porch column footings (round piers)

madcowscarnival

I've unsuccessfully searched the forum and general web searches.  Is there a way to add round pier footings (like 18"diax36" deep) to a porch railing columns.  Something that would be automatically controlled with the post spacing set in the railing wall dialogue box.  I really only "need" to to display and easily dimension to them on a foundation plan.  The railing wall dialog gives an option in "Foundation" for "foundation wall" or "slab footing" but nothing for isolated pier footings (which are commonly used in my area though I prefer continuous footings).  I don't necessarily need to even control the diameter or depth (though it would be nice), I can do that by notation and detail.

Is this available in the program somewhere else?  Currently I use CAD lines to draw in the correct locations, cut&paste in place on the foundation plan.  It's not difficult at all, but it's cumbersome.

Thank you all.

Yes and No.  If you model your own Newel Post complete with bracket and pier footings you can create a symbol from that and apply an offset to it.  The down side is there is no control of depth from grade unless you are working with flat terrain all the time.

2 hours ago, madcowscarnival said:

Thanks chopsaw.  I'll give that a shot.  Yes, 90% of the time, I'm working with a generally flat area for the house.  If they have changing grade, we call out a conc. stemwall instead (these are all patios rather than elevated decks which seem to have their own pier control)

You can user the post with footing tool and even set it as a wood post, concrete post, metal post, etc. Square round, etc.  That will control itself off your terrain if you set it accordingly.

For the Frost wall if you have a loaded column where you need an extra thickened footing at that point you can either break the wall and change the offset and footing size for that part or use the round pier or square pad tool under that foundation wall and set it separately from the regular wall footing.