schedule labels in material list?

SH_Canada

Is there a way to get a schedule label to show up in a material list?

I have a wall detail, created a schedule, and the framing members are are nicely labelled on the framing, lables layer. I would like that label (T01,T02,...) to show up in the label (or somewhere else) in the material list. The label in the material list seems to be always blank. If I go to the actual framing member and change the label to "xyz", it shows up embedded in the description on the materials list .

any ideas on if this is possible, or is there another way to link the material list to  a wall detail framing member, so one can see what comes from where? (I know I can use the "find object in plan") but that does not help when viewing a printed plan)

thanks

image.thumb.png.0bc30a77fff32250eaf7a7c54faa1e92.png

image.thumb.png.b3d988200d84639d5659810692a5e193.png

it looks like it will not aggregate to make efficient use of 2x6s as now it looks like it aggregates by schedule name. Is there a way around this? I was hoping it would show individual members (As it does) and then the aggregated  code would show the error "multiple values...." 

image.thumb.png.f34acd4796084e817b18c741d32f5699.png

if I take the code out of the materials list it looks like:...and the counts differ (presumably because the above is aggregated by seperate schedule labels)

image.thumb.png.e981baf1072f85b26bd5a9518aa9b58d.png

Jason, are you looking for a material list specifically for purchasing or do you need an organized list for that drawing? Have you checked out a framing schedule in that framing detail?

It will give you a tidy cut list and it will only include the components in that detail. Obviously it serves a bit of a different purpose than the mat list. It's better for a drawing set, not as good for purchasing.

7 hours ago, robdyck said:

Jason, are you looking for a material list specifically for purchasing or do you need an organized list for that drawing? Have you checked out a framing schedule in that framing detail?

It will give you a tidy cut list and it will only include the components in that detail. Obviously it serves a bit of a different purpose than the mat list. It's better for a drawing set, not as good for purchasing.

I actually started with the framing schedule, but my customer(the contractor, not the end customer) wanted a materials list to go buy the materials9and probably price to the end customer). The schedule list gives the cut length but not that, say four 1'10" cripples should be bought as one 2x6x8' board. The materials list has the nice feature of being able to specify "buy list" where it figures out those 4 cripples are one 2x6x8,. and if I could link it back by label to the framing elevation and floor/roof framing plan, then he could easily see which members are cut from which purchased 2x6 by Z feet and where they go. A nice little paint by numbers if I could get it to work. i.e. the framer could follow the buy list and cut, then write on the cut pieces S1, S2, etc out of the 2x6 by 8, and then know say S6 comes out of a 2x6x10'. I know when I frame, I think to myself how do I minimize the wasteage where I leave 14" boards, but more often than not, I just go buy all 8's because I am too lazy to try and figure out how many 10', 12', 8' to buy

I don't think there is actually a way to do that but is sure would save a lot of trees.  You could make a buy list and a cut list but linking the two I am not sure about.

Sometimes when it really maters like with timber frame I will graphically lay out a cut and buy sheet but it is a lot of work.

The one nice thing about using the material list for framing is if you have a detailed gable end wall or something similar it will actually give you the long side dimensions for the cut list while the framing schedules just give you centerline dimensions which almost makes you want to not use that method at all, otherwise it would be great.

21 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I don't think there is actually a way to do that but is sure would save a lot of trees.  You could make a buy list and a cut list but linking the two I am not sure about.

but they are actually there in the mat list, you can see them. but looking a little closer I do not think it is as smart as I thought. I think it takes the sizes from largest to smallest and fits them to the length of 2x6. I dont think it mixes and matches to optimize. If you look below it says to buy 12, but there are 26 entries. But if you kind of add as you go down(unitl you reach 92", then add a new one), you get about 12, at least by roughly adding in my head. 

image.thumb.png.2f227d1a3c088053f9d17be4f06e9997.png

If you go into "Structural Member Reporting"  You can set it up to prioritize specific lengths so you are not cutting everything out of precuts.

You will want to understand what it is doing and how it is reporting before you send it out to a contractor and there is certainly still a lot I don't know about how it all works.  That is the one reason I like the framing schedules is that they are quick and easy to check and verify.