Layout can't backup then crashed and went to 0 file size. Now won't open because contains no data.

DeltaHome

I hire a trainer to get the ball over the goal line and over the last week he has done just that.

Today we worked on the .plan and .layout in my Dropbox folder and he finished sprucing it up for filing tomorrow.

After getting off the Zoom meeting and thanking him, I was blithely importing the 70 pages of P.E. Engineering Structural Calculations when I got the following warning:

image.thumb.png.c81cfcc3643f9038ef557174827b201f.png

Layout can't backup then crashed and went to 0 file size.  Now .layup won't open because contains no data.

So, I copied the files over from Dropbox to my hard drive and am starting over importing the P.E. .pdfs to layout.

And I got the same warning.

Then I got a warning that Dropbox can't sync. because of low hard drive space.

So, right now I am deleting files from my hard drive to free up space before I recommence.

Any other suggestions?

(Thank God for the backup in my Dropbox!)

I certainly hope your trainer did not recommend importing 70 pages of PDF to your layout.  By all means send that in to tech support but I certainly would not ever try that.

Just send them separately or compile after the fact in a PDF editor.  Chief Architect is not currently a PDF editor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

I certainly hope your trainer did not recommend importing 70 pages of PDF to your layout.  By all means send that in to tech support but I certainly would not ever try that.

Just send them separately or compile after the fact in a PDF editor.  Chief Architect is not currently a PDF editor.

Well Chopsaw may be correct.  I deleted enough file space on my computer to assure that insufficient hard drive space is not the problem.  And then started re-importing the P.E. Structural Engineering .pdfs and at about 50 pages, I closed the .layout file and CA and then tried to reopen CA and then the .layout file.  CA opened but it cannot open the .layout file.  It is likely too large a file for CA to handle?  See below.  So I think I will create a separate .layout file for just the P.E.'s calculation .pdfs.

image.thumb.png.12df914b08c2417705d02b5276ac4f73.png

2 minutes ago, DeltaHome said:

So I think I will create a separate .layout file for just the P.E.'s calculation .pdfs.

That would be an interesting experiment but you still may run into issues.

If you do not have access to a PDF editor and you must accomplish this within Chief you may have a much better chance by converting the PDF's to a .PNG format and then import them.

Please do not hesitate to contact tech support with your results and error codes after posting them here because it would be great if Chief could actually do this sort of thing when it is required to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeltaHome said:

I have Adobe Acrobat XI Professional.  So I guess I could make a template similar to my CA .layout template in Arch D (24"x36") is that what you mean?

Do you want 8 - 8 1/2 x 11"  x 8.75 = 70  engineering sheets on your Arch D title pages.

If so maybe see how far your can get with your idea even if you need two or three layout files and then compile those with your plan set in Acrobat. Watch your page numbering though so there is continuity.

I have not tried to layout and compile partial pages in Acrobat but maybe if the other does not work give it a try.  Just export a blank title sheet and use that.

• Like 1

To fit eight 8.5x11 pages on Arch D, I import the file, then marquee the 30 pages, the Open the file the check Save to File then change page size to 8x10 3/8" then click CAD Line stops.

They go it fine but obviously I am overloading CA.

So right now I have made a second .layout file just for the P.E. structural engineering calculations.

I will report back.

You know you may be right.  Maybe I could fit all the pages in one .layout file if I didn't save these to file.

Now I am at a fork in the road, do I continue with my second .layout file with save to file or not save to file.

Or do I go back to my single layout file and not save to file?

If I don't save to file do I have to put the entire directory with the Engineer's .pdf in the directory to the printer to be able to print the .layout file?

Sacramento County requires an online filing in .pdf format.  So, I assume that I print my entire .plan file and my layout file to .pdf and upload it to the County.  Acrobat will allow me to split that .pdf into smaller files.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

3 minutes ago, DeltaHome said:

Or do I go back to my single layout file and not save to file?

Your choice.  I have not personally pushed the software in that direction as hard as you have.  But I have had my share of other breakdowns.

Just be sure you have a backup of your original layout file before going back and taking a risk of crashing that again.

7 minutes ago, DeltaHome said:

If I don't save to file do I have to put the entire directory with the Engineer's .pdf in the directory to the printer to be able to print the .layout file?

No if your are successful at producing a PDF file that is all the printer needs.  Notice that I said "if" as you may crash compiling the print preview so be sure and save before you try that.

9 minutes ago, DeltaHome said:

Sacramento County requires an online filing in .pdf form.  So, I assume that I print my entire .plan file and my layout file to .pdf and upload it to the County.  Acrobat will allow me to split that .pdf into smaller files.

They should not have any issues with you submitting engineering in a separate file that is labeled appropriately but I am not from CA.

The advantage I see in putting the engineering into your plan set is that it is more likely to be referenced and less likely to get lost but I don't think many people do it that way.

• Like 1