Hiding interior walls on a layer

PMMully

I am doing an exterior garage plan that will have a convertible option to turn some of the garage space into an apartment, all one floor. I designed the converted state to include interior walls to dial in slab sanitary, electrical, etc.

But, the actual permit will be for an accessory structure only with no interior walls. I noticed both exterior and interior walls appear to be on the "Walls, Normal" so if I turn it off I lose my exterior walls also. I was hoping to just turn off all the internal walls for the truss engineering and final permitting. 

Is there a way to handle this outside of just making a copy of the plan and deleting all the interior walls?

3 minutes ago, PMMully said:

I am doing an exterior garage plan that will have a convertible option to turn some of the garage space into an apartment, all one floor. I designed the converted state to include interior walls to dial in slab sanitary, electrical, etc.

But, the actual permit will be for an accessory structure only with no interior walls. I noticed both exterior and interior walls appear to be on the "Walls, Normal" so if I turn it off I lose my exterior walls also. I was hoping to just turn off all the internal walls for the truss engineering and final permitting. 

Is there a way to handle this outside of just making a copy of the plan and deleting all the interior walls?

Copy the Walls, Normal layer, and call it Walls, Normal INT. Then select all your interior walls and place them on that new layer. Then review each drawing for appropriate layer display control. Because you made a copy of the Walls, Normal Layer, it will indeed be a copy, so you should only need to turn the new layer off in a few drawings (layer sets). It will already be on or off for each layer set the same as the original layer Walls, Normal. Does that make sense?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PMMully said:

can I retain the barrel tile and select a color other than the defaults

Yes.  You just edit the material definition.  You can either copy the material to a new name and change the color - or just change the color of the material without copying it.

1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Yes.  You just edit the material definition.  You can either copy the material to a new name and change the color - or just change the color of the material without copying it.

Joe, this is a roof barrel tile, I am not seeing how to actually change the color to something else on the palette. When I do, it is losing the actual tile look.

You need to "Blend Color with Texture".  IOW, don't select a different Material.

BTW, Chief's Barrel Tile Material is just a visual texture, not a true 3D Barrel Tile.  Creating a roof with 3D Barrel Tiles requires actual 3D symbols and distribution areas and paths.  It's a whole different ballgame.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

BTW Patrick,

You really should create a separate thread in Q&A for separate subjects.  It's much better if the thread is consistent with the original title.

I deleted the original when I realized I messed up, and you beat me to it with an answer! Thanks Joe!