Shed to gable roof using auto rebuild roofs

Noremac

Hello there!

I'm new to chief as of a few weeks ago. I'm really loving how in-depth you can get with it. Hopefully this isn't to much of a newbie question that is easily answered somewhere else but I have seen anything on it. I'm trying to attach a shed roof to a gable. I have a feeling this is something similar to a porch roof, but after messing with it for a few hours I cant figure it out. 

This is what I'm go1947303910_FrontView.thumb.jpg.3452fc6b3a5b7115966bcac7f4fe3ca9.jpg

Side.thumb.jpg.7a384af55497c2a53bafc4a5a168fd32.jpg

Here is where I'm at. 95008122_view1.thumb.jpg.8be5157e43ae59be703f69dcd8629500.jpg

I've attached my plan if that helps!

I'm using x12 

Thanks!

-Cam

Piper_3rd Round 2_4_2021.plan

Hi Cam,

So I played with your plan file, and noted that you have some extra roof planes.  I deleted them, turned off auto roof rebuild, and changed the slope of the shed roof as Eric mentioned in his earlier post.  

I attached the revised file so that you can see what I did.  You may be able to apply these techniques to your project.

894942731_ShedRoofoverGarage.thumb.jpg.b3864b9def239a12f79e1b35f47c30b0.jpg

778952992_Piper_3rdRound2_4_2021 (1).plan

Edited by Doug_N
Revised the plan file to simplify main roof plan, added graphic illustration. I did this after Glenn's post where I noticed the problem in the main roof plane. Thanks Glenn

Cool! That's it!

I realize auto building roofs will probably only get you so far. So you just fixed the planes manually by manipulating the planes? I see the extra plane in the front area, and changing the one shed roof plane to a 3:12. I guess it just takes a little bit of practice and trail and error to get your planes the way you want them. 

Thanks! 

This is auto built - so turn on auto build roofs and split screen plan and 3D view so that you can see what is happening.

The trick is to use a double pitch for the shed roof.

Break the right hand garage wall at the back of the garage.

Make the rear section of wall a full gable.

Make the front half of the wall a hip, pitch 3:12, Upper Pitch 8:12, in from baseline 230" (you may have to adjust this value so the that double pitch roof meets cleanly with the main gable roof).

Make the front double garage wall full gable, the small return hip wall and the front wall to the single garage a high shed/gable wall.

I would juggle things to get rid of the jog in the main ridge - maybe change some wall locations slightly.

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 10.04.19 am.jpg

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    1badbear
    Newest Member
    1badbear

• By JLU_Design
      Does someone know why when I click to turn off the Eave Fascia it also turns off the Gable Fascia?

I would like to turn off the Eave Fascia and leave the Gable Fascia on.

It would seem that because they both have a check box it would be possible to deselect one without affecting the other.

I'm on x14 now. Just upgraded, but I don't think that's the reason for the issue.

• By basilbabaa
      SITUATION:  X13 3D renders, when compared to X12, appear blurred, washed out, less vibrant in quality and the vector renders have excessive line weights in X13

Rather than hijack a previous topic thread, I am starting this topic as a result of a side conversation that emerged here-in:  

It appears that there are others experiencing this same issue, and so I thought I would begin this here in it's own topic thread.  
      Here is a Dropbox link to image and video files (generated on both a i9 and M1 Pro Max chips) depicting the issue: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zt4tagbuhsfkbi/AABsTnIW6DjT5uExeP6e5mcAa?dl=0

As a note, I have already opened a support case with Chief Technical Support and they have graciously offered to look into it:  

If anyone else is noticing lesser quality output with 3D rendering in X13 as compared to X12, perhaps we can share our experience and thoughts here as well as with support towards a workable solution.
    • By ChristinaW
      Hello, I'm trying to fix the  gable roof end conditions and a shed roof dormer.
      The house is a 2 story with an unfinished attic.  Part of the attic will be converted into livable space.
      I created the roof on the second floor so that the ridge height is set.
      I used a polyline and cut into the roof seen in image #1.

I NEED the end gable stone  walls to angle towards peak and I wanted to set wood stud framing on the angle wall for the start of the dormer walls. See images above.

This shouldn't take hours to do and watched multiple videos and it's not working like the videos suggest.

• By BadgerEngineer
      Hi, I'm working on a six unit townhome with manually drawn roofs. The roof looks great from the outside, but for some reason, the roofs don't appear to have "joined" totally properly, because I can see the roof planes inside the building when I place my camera inside the loft. I've attached screenshots of what the issue looks like. Unfortunately I can't attach the .plan file as it 23 MB and the maximum upload size is 14 MB.
      Thanks in advance!