Cathedral porch rendering

amyken

I'm a novice!  I am trying to create a cathedral porch ceiling that will have an open gable.  I unchecked "flat ceiling" and made the attic gable "invisible" but my rendering shows a gap between the ceiling an roof.  Help! 

chief architect question.jpg

6 minutes ago, amyken said:

I'm a novice!  I am trying to create a cathedral porch ceiling that will have an open gable.  I unchecked "flat ceiling" and made the attic gable "invisible" but my rendering shows a gap between the ceiling an roof.  Help! 

chief architect question.jpg

Select use soffit material for ceiling.  But you might need to get a timber truss or some type of support in there anyways as there is nothing to hold up the ridge beam...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, amyken said:

I unchecked "flat ceiling" and made the attic gable "invisible" but my rendering shows a gap between the ceiling an roof.  Help! 

Just so you understand why that's happening, the gap is caused by the difference between your roof structure thickness and the gable fascia thickness. The software builds the ceiling to the bottom of the roof framing, even if you haven't built the roof framing. Your roof deck is thicker, or taller than the fascia, so the porch ceiling is pushed below the fascia.

You control the member sizes in the Build Roof > Structure tab or in Roof defaults. Adjusting those settings is how you would get the model to conform to how it would be built, if you prefer an accurate model. You can see in the screenshot that out of the box, CA builds a roof deck that is thicker than the gable fascia, pushing the ceiling down.

Or Ryan's method is an easy way to quickly straighten out the 3D view.

926723051_ScreenShot2021-01-18at6_09_38PM.thumb.png.786c04acf42c2fe23d44bde04947b14d.png

Also, you can accomplish that design without a ridge pole, just has to be engineered to work.