Jesse28636

NC Architect

Recommended Posts

Ok. I used the home pro software to design “plans” for a home I am about to build.   I sent the files over to the architect that the builder recommended and he is saying that the plans created are garbage.  They are not compatible with any cad software. It is not exporting layers. Only jumbled blocks.  Is there any NC licensed architects and or structural engineers that can take plan files from this software and easily convert them to actual plans.  I sent everything to him to do the layout pages.  Set up floor trusses and set up roof trusses Bc I did not have that option with home designer pro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jesse28636 said:

Ok. I used the home pro software to design “plans” for a home I am about to build.   I sent the files over to the architect that the builder recommended and he is saying that the plans created are garbage.  They are not compatible with any cad software. It is not exporting layers. Only jumbled blocks.  Is there any NC licensed architects and or structural engineers that can take plan files from this software and easily convert them to actual plans.  I sent everything to him to do the layout pages.  Set up floor trusses and set up roof trusses Bc I did not have that option with home designer pro. 

What version of Chief are you using?  I do this all day long and I have to say the DWG export in Chief is pretty good.  If you can post the file here and I'll try and import into Autocad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, johnny said:

What version of Chief are you using?  I do this all day long and I have to say the DWG export in Chief is pretty good.  If you can post the file here and I'll try and import into Autocad.

I attached the file to another thread..   the software that I used is home designer pro 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see everything....but I see EVERYTHING. All the layers are turned on, so he/she will have to wade through the layers. 

 

In Chief, not sure if it's the same with Pro, but when exporting a view, say FLOOR PLAN, there is a check box to only export the layers visible in that view. Same for ELECTRICAL, etc...so I will export the views when sending to an engineer. A structural engineer doesn't hardly every need to see the electrical plans and things like that, so I will export just the FOUNDATION PLAN, or the FRAMING PLANS, and leave all the other layers off so that they don't export.

 

Hope that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy said he needed everything I had so that’s what I sent.

7 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

I see everything....but I see EVERYTHING. All the layers are turned on, so he/she will have to wade through the layers. 

 

In Chief, not sure if it's the same with Pro, but when exporting a view, say FLOOR PLAN, there is a check box to only export the layers visible in that view. Same for ELECTRICAL, etc...so I will export the views when sending to an engineer. A structural engineer doesn't hardly every need to see the electrical plans and things like that, so I will export just the FOUNDATION PLAN, or the FRAMING PLANS, and leave all the other layers off so that they don't export.

 

Hope that makes sense.

He is supposed to be taking what I have editing the truss layers and putting everything in “construction” plan layout to submit to the builder and city for permitting.   I’m just curious if he knows what he’s doing or is just trying to rip me off.     I hate to think I spent twenty plus hour pluse the expense of the software if it’s no better than drawing it out on a napkin and taking it to them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Crusader103 said:

Jesse, can you post a link to your actual plan, not just the DWG?

The plan file is over the 25mb limit.   I can send it in a zipped file via email if you would like 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesse,

 

More than likely the architect you gave them to is not a "chief " user,. My guess is that he is an AutoCad/Revit user and does not/will not want to take the time to  wade through the layers etc. which is his prerogative. However, that is no excuse to be RUDE:angry:. If I were in your position after having someone say that  I would NOT hire him. He has already shown what kind of person he is (arrogant) and to speak that way to a person who could have been a paying customer just goes to show he is not worthy of your money.  What I recommend you should do, is get one of the guys here on this forum who is familiar with & uses basically the same software or who can do a "save as" to help you. Have them  tidy up and/complete the construction drawing set and then you give the set to your builder. You will be, by far, better off working with a "like fellow".

 

Just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    29108
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    melanieobriendes
    Newest Member
    melanieobriendes
    Joined