Contemporary A Frame Cabin

dbarbee

I am trying to design a contemporary a-frame cabin similar to the one in the images. However, I am not able to figure out the roof type I should use or even where to begin. Any suggestions? 

I am using X12 Chief Architect. The A-Frame I am attempting to draw is two stories. As you can see in the image, instead of a full gable roof, it's "half". Previously, I have constructed an upper floor as a Cape Cod and "ignored the second floor", but I cannot figure out how to configure the second floor and roof to match how it looks in the image. 

Because I am still learning the software, It's hard for me to explain what I am attempting to do. 

Please see the annotated image. 

More specifics: 20 x 40 Building. 9 Foot Ceilings Lower Floor/9 Foot Ceilings Upper Level (Sloped?)   

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.37.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.36.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 7.22.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 7.22.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 7.23.02 AM.png

- Build the roof before you build the second floor.

- Then build 2nd floor and uncheck "move the roof over the highest floor up" (uncheck flat ceiling over this room/floor)

- Use Transform/Replicate to move your roof up to whatever height you need to create those knee walls.

- To create the balcony in the front just extend your 2 exterior walls out and create a porch area by drawing in an invisible wall (porch, no roof or ceiling)

- your roof structure should be changed to a minimum of 18" truss height (at least here in Canada that's the minimum)

2088870621_ScreenShot2021-01-12at11_38_11AM.thumb.png.b9815139ff6fd08b5e49c981b970200b.png

Here's the plan if you want to poke around...

Cooky Chalet.plan

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I would have thought that the easiest way to do this is to build a second floor with the ceiling height set at the height of the knee walls, and with flat ceiling over this room unchecked?

12 hours ago, dbarbee said:

Would you be able to make a screen recorder of what you did? This will help me a lot

Steve's video explains it well.  The only difference with the way I did it was to use the Transform/Replicate tool to manually adjust the vertical placement of the roof.

Steve however, shows the proper way of doing this by setting the rough ceiling height on the 2nd floor and then building the roof.

I strongly encourage you to watch all of Steve's videos on his YT channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjDk9xKcXSsC5HTKrDW6E1A?view_as=subscriber

• Like 1

• 3 years later...