Remove Finish Flooring In Basement?

MickeyToo

The whole idea behind having defaults is to be able to decide what conditions a designer wants/needs to exist ahead of actually developing a model. It is a fundamental principle of "best practices' in BIM software. This should go without saying. So whether you want Chief to apply the finish flooring and ceiling materials (from the first floor, and only the first floor!) to the basement room in your model by default, or you do not (b/c in my area it is the rare exception and not the rule that basements are finished), the software should allow for this flexibility. And if it does not, then it should be clearly documented, at least. As with slope slabs, it looks like Chief could do a much better job in this area.

• Upvote 1

I don't see this as a problem. There are many, many times that there will be areas of the basement finished and areas unfinished. In order for the materials list to be as correct as possible, not to mention the stair data, those finished areas need to have the flooring accounted for. If the project is to have a completely unfinished basement, then this argument really has no merit....IMO....because a couple clicks (whether before or after adding the basement) is all it takes to rid the model and materials list of the flooring. 

Having the flooring there for the finished areas is important. If Chief were to change to no flooring by default, there would be a completely different list of users that would be complaining that they never have completely unfinished basements, and need for flooring to be there by default.

The only real solution...again, in my opinion, is possibly to have the option of flooring by foundation default after the walls reach 84" in height, but then again....what about the unfinished areas. You would have to go back and remove the flooring. Either way, we area adding and/or removing flooring from areas of the basement that require it.....which is exactly what I do now for nearly every project.

Spot on.

The whole idea behind having defaults is to be able to decide what conditions a designer wants/needs to exist ahead of actually developing a model. It is a fundamental principle of "best practices' in BIM software. This should go without saying. So whether you want Chief to apply the finish flooring and ceiling materials (from the first floor, and only the first floor!) to the basement room in your model by default, or you do not (b/c in my area it is the rare exception and not the rule that basements are finished), the software should allow for this flexibility. And if it does not, then it should be clearly documented, at least. As with slope slabs, it looks like Chief could do a much better job in this area.

MickeyToo,

Add this to the Suggestions forum. It's a legitimate request & a suggestion no one should have any problem w/.