Importing geometry from other apps while maintaining world position

kwhitt

I've got some ceiling trim that requires several compound angles.  I have exported my model out as .DAE and opened in another app where I created this trim.  Now I want to bring it back into Chief, but in the same world position so that I don't have to spend time placing it exactly where I want it.  Is this possible upon import?  Thanks, Kevin

ceiling trim.jpg

1 minute ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Michael.  And when placing it in the plan, how do I ensure I click at 0,0?

That's really up to you.  Place a temporary point at 0,0 is one way, or just select the symbol after you place it and use Transform/Replicate>Move>Absolute Location

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

That's really up to you.  Place a temporary point at 0,0 is one way, or just select the symbol after you place it and use Transform/Replicate>Move>Absolute Location

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Michael - I can get the symbol built with the offset origin - first image,  But when I place it in the plan view the origin is reset to center by the bounding box - second image.  When I try to move to absolute 0,0,0 - it ignores the offset origin.  What step am I missing here?  Thanks!

symbol.jpg

plan.jpg

The way it works in Chief is that the the 3D representation is offset, not the 2D block.  It’s not a perfect solution.  Check your 3D and see how that looks.

By the way, this is yet another example of where we could really use a Convert To Symbol In Place functionality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The way it works in Chief is that the the 3D representation is offset, not the 2D block.  It’s not a perfect solution.  Check your 3D and see how that looks.

By the way, this is yet another example of where we could really use a Convert To Symbol In Place functionality.

That's crazy.  It still doesn't align in the 3D view.  Have tried various import formats.  I was able to move it by gauging distances in elevation view.  Guess it will have to do for now.  Appreciate the help.

2 hours ago, kwhitt said:

I was able to move it by gauging distances in elevation view.

Kevin, could you import those along with another piece of geometry from the room that you could use to more accurately place it?  Perhaps a diagonal line drawn to one of the corners of the room?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Kevin, could you import those along with another piece of geometry from the room that you could use to more accurately place it?  Perhaps a diagonal line drawn to one of the corners of the room?

Hi Mark.  That is a good idea.  I could choose a segment that fits neatly in the corner of a room.  The 2D symbols not aligning with the 3D objects is a deal breaker for me to want to use this method in the future though...  Thanks for you input.  Kevin

9 hours ago, kwhitt said:

The 2D symbols not aligning with the 3D objects is a deal breaker for me to want to use this method in the future though... 

Just FYI, if you’re properly syncing the origin in both pieces of software, things should align in 3D and you can actually fix the 2D by just copying the values from the offsets and just moving the object by those amounts instead.  

• Upvote 1

On 10/15/2020 at 2:50 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

Just FYI, if you’re properly syncing the origin in both pieces of software, things should align in 3D and you can actually fix the 2D by just copying the values from the offsets and just moving the object by those amounts instead.  

Thanks Michael.  I have checked that the origins are the same in both programs and it still doesn't align correctly in Chief.  X aligns just fine, but Y and Z are off.  It really isn't a big deal to move though.  Good to know that I can correct the 2D symbol using the offsets.  Kevin