Colaboration Capabilities

SunnySanDiego

Hello my fellow C.A. users, 

I've had issues with the software because I often collaborate with other Chief users in one project. I find myself constantly having trouble with missing files. We use a central cloud storage and all my library items are saved in the cloud, however, the user on the other end opens the same Plan file and items are missing. I know there are tricks to bundle the project  with all the custom textures, but this creates a folder with docens of little files. 

Am I  going to struggle with this all the time?

People who use Chief work solo?

Have you ever colaborated with another Chief user in one project without these issues?  

The only safe way to share files between Chief Users is by using the "File - Back up Entire Plan - All associated files" command. This eliminates missing material texture files (when you assign a material or custom material, it is written to the plan file exactly the name of the material and the physical location of the material texture file on your PC, so if you just share the ".plan" file it will "Complain" that it cannot find the associated material texture files. Using "Back Up Entire Plan - All associated files" command eliminates that as a problem.

DJP

Thank you David,

That's the method I want to avoid, because this creates a new version of the .plan file and creates the need for more storage space if multiple versions or revisions are created. 

Ideally, I would like to maintain .plan file in the cloud and have the ability to pull custom textures and such from the cloud without "complaints" from the software. If someone has done this I would really like to know how they did it. 

If this is simply impossible for the software, then I hope C.A. takes a look at this, because more often than not, architectural design requires a team to get things done. 

Synchronization software and cloud storages work, so if you are using icloud, drop box, one drive, sugar sync, always sync (free for noncom), goodsync, <other file sync's> or home brew, etc will replicate the file. It just fine. With many of them you will get an error stating that unable to sync because file was changed in multiple places if this is the situation...