Embedded files

wncbw7

A client recently sent his plan drawn in X10 and its a 140 MB file and my computer struggles with it.  Is there a way to see a list of the embedded files so I can perhaps see what's pushing up the plan file size?

Do a File>Backup Entire Project to a folder and the folder will show you everything in the Plan , the (not) fun part maybe tracking each thing down but with All Layer On, finding things like PDF should be easier.

M

"Do a File>Backup Entire Project to a folder and the folder will show you everything in the Plan..."

The backup entire plan feature will show you all of the external file references.  These things should not have a significant affect on file size (although they could affect performance).

The most likely cause of large files and performance problems is all of the symbol data, things like fixture and furniture objects, especially if any of these objects were imported from outside sources.  You can use the Delete Objects tool to figure out what is taking up space and causing the slow downs (although these things may not be the same things).

You will likely get better answers if you post the plan.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Dermot said:

The backup entire plan feature will show you all of the external file references.  These things should not have a significant affect on file size (although they could affect performance).

That would depend on whether the Person who did the original drawing has used "Save in Plan" I believe.  If the file was received as a .Plan then I would assume that is what was done. If it was a Zipped Folder, made from the Backup Entire Plan Tool , then the Files maybe be being Referenced externally or it could be a mixture.

Images and PDFs saved in plan are usually two of the worst offenders, or Large hidden DWG CAD Imports, then there are files (symbols) from for example 3D Warehouse ( Trimble ) which can have large texture files associated with them.

M.