Sloped Ceiling Is Drawing 2 5/8" Lower Than I Designed

4hotshoez

And there's also the drywall to account for. The ceiling height is measured from the bottom of the rafter, not from the bottom of the drywall, so you would need to add an extra 1/2" to that ceiling height...195"

195" (the correct setting, give or take) minus 192-3/8" (what the lower edge of the ceiling in your plan was actually set to) equals 2-5/8" (your discrepancy).

It's not my "method". It's Chief recommendation how to draw custom ceilings. If you don't do it the recommended way, you can't be all that surprised when it gets confusing. However, as long as you understand the #'s in the dbx, you can do it either way you want.

Primarily, the difference between having the ceiling plane & baseline over the wall or not is mainly how the ceiling will frame. Done Chief's way, ceiling joists will frame over the wall top; which is almost always what I want.

The difference between the outside bottom & inside bottom hgts is the total rise across the wall main layer (5.5") for the spec'd pitch. No matter where you draw the cl'g, Chief assumes it's over a wall top & gives you those numbers accordingly. So, if you don't draw it like that, the outside bot hgt would be what you use.

when I edited your cl'gs over the Game Room (& the room def) to the recommended setup, I got exactly what you're looking for.

This is my understanding of how it works.

I sent you an email/message thru Chieftalk. I tried your 'todd@hawkshallow.com' email & had it returned- "domain name not found". I'll be glad to review this w/ you in a GTM or Skype session.

post-120-0-88278300-1414670386_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I place my ceiling planes over the outside of the main layer (framing) to start and go from there. Since we mainly do remodels and I measure at the house where the ceiling starts, I just move the ceiling plane up or down to match what's on the existing house. The main reason I start the ceiling plane on the outside of the main layer (framing) is because it will look right in a back-clip. If you're not showing framing, then start it where you want. 

It's not my "method". It's Chief recommendation how to draw custom ceilings. If you don't do it the recommended way, you can't be all that surprised when it gets confusing. However, as long as you understand the #'s in the dbx, you can do it either way you want.

Primarily, the difference between having the ceiling plane & baseline over the wall or not is mainly how the ceiling will frame. Done Chief's way, ceiling joists will frame over the wall top; which is almost always what I want.

The difference between the outside bottom & inside bottom hgts is the total rise across the wall main layer (5.5") for the spec'd pitch. No matter where you draw the cl'g, Chief assumes it's over a wall top & gives you those numbers accordingly. So, if you don't draw it like that, the outside bot hgt would be what you use.

when I edited your cl'gs over the Game Room (& the room def) to the recommended setup, I got exactly what you're looking for.

This is my understanding of how it works.

I sent you an email/message thru Chieftalk. I tried your 'todd@hawkshallow.com' email & had it returned- "domain name not found". I'll be glad to review this w/ you in a GTM or Skype session.

Thank you for that explanation Jim.  That makes perfect sense.  I rarely use plans for displaying framing so I see why I haven't had an issue yet., and I can see now why "my" method (while fine for most situations) is really the wrong way. Good to know.

Thanks for your help. I had seen the videos, but missed one important and unintuitive aspect of drawing the ceilings on the outside layer of the wall. I was drawing them where the ceiling would go, on the inside. After setting this up the Cheif way it started to work.

The video I saw never stressed that as an important point not to miss. That was a frustrating way to learn a slightly quirky aspect of Chief. I am not sure why it needs to be setup that way. It would seem that the by having only the inside bottom height would be simple enough to control a ceiling in the DBX and to draw the ceiling on the inside of the building rather than the outside.

Thanks for your help. I had seen the videos, but missed one important and unintuitive aspect of drawing the ceilings on the outside layer of the wall. I was drawing them where the ceiling would go, on the inside. After setting this up the Cheif way it started to work.

The video I saw never stressed that as an important point not to miss. That was a frustrating way to learn a slightly quirky aspect of Chief. I am not sure why it needs to be setup that way. It would seem that the by having only the inside bottom height would be simple enough to control a ceiling in the DBX and to draw the ceiling on the inside of the building rather than the outside.

Just to reiterate. Your ceiling height was set wrong regardless of whether you built it to the interior side of the wall or the exterior (as mentioned in posts above). I bring attention to this because while I agree that drawing the ceiling to the exterior is the more accurate way to do it so that framing builds correctly for the majority of situations, drawing to the interior also works just fine (and would be the proper way to do it for some framing situations). It worked just fine for your plan once I entered the CORRECT numbers.