Sign in to follow this  
Jambruins

Question about roof and baselines

If I want the top of all of my walls (house and garage) to be at the same height and then have all of my trusses start at this point do I control that by locking the baseline height at the same elevation for all of my roof planes or is this done some other way?

28 minutes ago, Jambruins said:

If I want the top of all of my walls (house and garage) to be at the same height and then have all of my trusses start at this point do I control that by locking the baseline height at the same elevation for all of my roof planes or is this done some other way?

Yes...ish, but keep in mind that the location of the baseline in plan view matters as well. You really shouldn't need to think about the baseline. Rather, all your rooms should have the same ceiling height. Then, you'll want to make sure your roof height factors in 2 things for trusses:

1. Raise / lower from ceiling height (for my region that is typically 3.5") or think of this as the bottom chord depth
  2. Roof Layers / Structure (for my region that is typically 3.5") or think of this as the top chord depth

These 2 items will help you define the heel height of the truss - which matches Chief's Baseline height. This is the vertical height to the underside of the roof sheathing at the exterior of the framing layer. Then, any roof plane you draw will have the correct 'Baseline" relative to the top of the wall that the roof plane was drawn over.

Quick example: In my region, the typical truss has the top chord 'pivoting' on the outer edge of the bottom chord.

image.thumb.png.4018f34eaedad764db3c11ad857689bf.pngimage.thumb.png.63d687a677e61715332676d51a8f61c8.png