Elementary Question Of Dragging And Scrolling Simultaneously

4hotshoez

I have been finding it to be difficult to manage dragging and object or drawing a box and expanding the view screen or scrolling at the same time. For instance to snap a box to a wall surface at a corner I must zoom in to get it and not the stud surface (just an example) then click and drag out the other corner of the box AND zoom back out with the mouse wheel with another finger, then zoom into the area I want to snap for the second point of the box or moved object then release.

Is there an easier way to deal with this?

Most other apps (CAD or Photoshop, etc.) do not use the click-hold-drag-release method like Chief, which avoids this problem.

I personally don't have much of a problem zooming and in and out with the scroll wheel while moving objects, however panning around the plan is a different story.  Probably the easiest way is using hotkeys for zooming and panning.  You can use the arrow keys to pan, and the / and - keys for zooming in and out.

Aerial View in new to me and looks helpful since my project is getting larger, but it does not solve the problem. I tried to draw a box while holding the left mouse button, but cannot get into the Aerial View window unless I release the mouse, which defeats the purpose.

I tried the hotkeys, but you must maneuver the pan keys just right in order to get the zoom-in key to go where you want.

Since no one has come up with a worthy solution, I will take this to the suggestion forum.

Thank you,

Thanks, the Aerial View is somewhat useful.

Although not for all commands.

The help says:

• No matter what tool is active, when you move the pointer to the Aerial View window and drag a marquee, the floor plan view zooms in on that area.

But for some CAD tools it is not operable.

Looks like dragging an object doesn't work.

God I miss Autocad. :(

To me this is a clumsy environment to draw in.

God I miss Autocad.  :(

To me this is a clumsy environment to draw in.

I use CA primarily for concept and floor plans for presentation to customers. All of my construction documents are done in Acad. I export to .dwg and have minimal adjustments (line color, weight, etc.). I used to maintain an Acad full license, but only need Acad LT which is not very expensive. As a contractor, I had more than one saw, hammer and ladders as well. Acad is difficult to learn and be productive and doesn't suit some people. Having the background in Acad should be to your advantage. I don't generally post much regarding the Cad functions here because most prefer completing plan sets in CA. It does work for most on the forum.