pgjacob

Creating sign be SUBTRACTING text from a polyline solid

I am trying to create an address sign using a square polyline solid and REMOVING text from the square like in the attached image.  I know I can subtract other simple polyline solids, but how do I subtract a letter or number?  Chief Architect tech support had no solution.

Thanks in advance

Melissa

image.thumb.png.e59bca794b49d7da315f057b94140091.png

If you will do a forum search I know there was a similar thread some time back. I think Michael @Alaskan_Son I believe had a method and did a video. His, I think, was for raised text. But I believe you could do similar making the text a solid and then subtracting. Maybe he will chime in when he can.

Do you have any other CAD software you work with?  Many (Sketchup, AutoCAD, Draftsight, etc.) have a tool to convert text to polylines or 3D objects.  I simply use one of my other pieces of software to convert text to polylines or other 3D, import into Chief, and then use the resulting to polylines.  Really quite easy.  Here's a quick video I made a little while back.  I since switched to using Draftsight instead, but the basics are the same.  Import DWG and use polylines...

• Upvote 1

Wow!  This is exactly what I needed!  Thanks so much.  I have Sketchup and will try there.  And I see you can import fonts from e.g. Dafont.com.  

Melissa

Thanks to everyone's help!  Just about endless what you can do.  I am playing with Dingbat fonts in DaFont (some are not uploading in Sketchup) but enough are that amy kind of polyline solid can be created and then subtracted.

image.thumb.png.f6abe729108207673411ffedf59eb133.pngimage.thumb.png.4d81035c2731b5128f2c0054ee66afbf.png

• Upvote 1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Burtonmadness
    Newest Member
    Burtonmadness

• By rfantclt
      I am trying to make a custom column that has a brace at the top (required due to height). I have drawn the shapes I want and the center portion (the exposed structural column) easily converted to a polyline solid.  When I try to convert the the two polyline curved braces into a polyline solid, it only gives me the option to make them polyline moldings.  Attached is the Column brace.plan file and a pdf of what the overall column needs to look like.  I'm using X12.

Thanks for help figuring this out!
      Rebecca
      SK-Draft - Column Dtl 2020_0831.pdf
      Column brace polylines.plan
    • By robdyck
      Is there way to make a schedule of polyline solids? For example, several exterior trim objects created using p-solids and on their own layer. It would be handy to be able to create a schedule of items on a particular layer set.
    • By Aamir77
      Folks!
      Want to make sewage path. Made the PVC lines with polyline solid cylinder tool but unable to make a cylinder 90* bend. Please HELP
    • By pgjacob
      Hi All,
      I am trying to create a hole in a polyline solid.  I followed the directions on CA but get the error attached.  I am trying to make my pool scuppers look right by adding in a hole inside the scupper.

And on a side note, 3Dwarehouse has some neat things.  I always get tickled when I see those little water streams with the splash in the pool from the scuppers.  Great find at 3D warehouse.  But some things seem to be geared toward gaming, like finding a horse that had nothing to do with Roman warriors was a challenge, but I found a really nice one (pic also attached).

But any other free sources of good 3d objects?

• By MindBender
      Good Afternoon Users!
      I ran into something interesting recently. I needed to create a concealed, angled, and twisting steel plate detail in 3D for a unique life size art project. Z-Axis: One tongue was angled at 3 degrees approaching the joint between facets/ The opposing tongue is angled at 18 degrees. X-Axis: these two tongues meet at 166 degrees from 0. Y-Axis: is perp to the 3 degrees of the Z-Axis Plates. Needless to say, my best description of the prescribed dual gusset plate. I see the geometry in my mind but there seems to be no quick way to create said object. Yikes! :-) 

An object that can rotate, add/subt handles, re-shape any edge, in ANY view....

Maybe 10X will have what I'm suggesting? An "Omni-Polyline Solid".... See Attachment 

Comments are welcome. Thanks!! Enjoy your Day!!

doc00542820180301124456.pdf