dormer & bonus room

winterdd

so, my new project is a one story home with flat ceilings throughout and a two car garage. i have a couple questions.

1) the owners want a dormer centered on the house but want it functional to allow natural light into the living room. does the attic have to be changed to a "room" to allow this? if so, can i create a second floor with like 3-6" ceiling height just to get it labeled as a room? im sure it won't be built like this in real life, correct?

2) bonus room above the garage. will not have a flat ceiling. will be sheet rocked to followed the rafters (vaulted). again, does this space above the garage which chief considers an attic need to be changed to a room with a minimal ceiling height to allow the stairs finding it as a second floor?

thanks!

11 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

i figured out something better for my situation. build a second floor. draw your dormer walls manually. set to "open below". boom, throw your roof plane on the dormer and some windows and it works perfect. 

I Agee,  build dormer manually ON THE FLOOR ABOVE,  check roof cuts wall at bottom,  put hole in roof.... I do not think it is necessary to create a room.

I did countless videos years ago trying to figure this out.  

2 hours ago, dshall said:

I did countless videos years ago trying to figure this out.  

Haha I just watched one of your videos about this last night!  Always trying to improve on my dormers as there always seems to be little “glitches” that I am obviously telling it incorrectly how to model it.  Not usually with the walls but with the ceiling above when I try to get it to be open to below on the edges.  Just extra fiddling around to get it to look good in interior shots and renderings.