soffit slope in two planes


Lighthouse
 Share

Recommended Posts

I asked this years ago, but maybe there is now a way to do it.  I've designed a roof with overhangs at the gable and rake.  I want to create a tapered roof edge (angled soffit) so the roof gets thinner towards the outer edge of the overhang.  I can create this tapered edge with a PS, or rafter tails, or a molding polyline, or a shadowboard on the gable end (soffit A in the attached drawing).  But nothing seems to work on the rake edge (soffit B in the attached drawing).  I would greatly appreciate any brilliant ideas.  I have attached a simple test plan as well.  Thanks!!

soffit test.pdf

soffit test.plan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, javatom said:

Try using another roof plane for the soffit.  Make it thin so it does not cut into the actual roof.  The soffit would be the ceiling of the roof plane.

shoot, I thought of that but rejected the idea for some reason.  I'll give it a try, thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

shoot, I thought of that but rejected the idea for some reason.  I'll give it a try, thanks

Just remember you will need to adjust the "baseline" angle at the inverse gable ("V") side of the soffit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Just remember you will need to adjust the "baseline" angle at the inverse gable ("V") side of the soffit

Wait, now I see what the problem is.  On soffit B, I want the slope to be perpendicular to the wall plan (starts low on the wall, ends high at the fascia (easier to see in the pdf).  How do I make a roof plane that slopes in two directions- it has to slope to follow the roof, but also slope up towards the soffit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Wait, now I see what the problem is.  On soffit B, I want the slope to be perpendicular to the wall plan (starts low on the wall, ends high at the fascia (easier to see in the pdf).  How do I make a roof plane that slopes in two directions- it has to slope to follow the roof, but also slope up towards the soffit

as I mentioned, you will need to adjust the baseline angle to match the slope of your roof which is 15 degrees. then set your slope of the "soffit" roof plane to the degree you want, like -12 etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

as I mentioned, you will need to adjust the baseline angle to match the slope of your roof which is 15 degrees. then set your slope of the "soffit" roof plane to the degree you want, like -12 etc.

I get the idea, but don't know what direction to draw the roof.  Can you do it on the attached plan and send it? I'm happy to pay for your time.  I just want it to look like the picture.  Once I see it on the plan I will understand what you did.  Actually, unless you have X10 I won't be able to view it.  Just to make sure we're on the same page, you are talking about Soffit B, right?  Do I draw that roof parallel to the existing roof or perpendicular?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I get the idea, but don't know what direction to draw the roof.  Can you do it on the attached plan and send it? I'm happy to pay for your time.  I just want it to look like the picture.  Once I see it on the plan I will understand what you did.  Actually, unless you have X10 I won't be able to view it.  Just to make sure we're on the same page, you are talking about Soffit B, right?  Do I draw that roof parallel to the existing roof or perpendicular?

this help?

740320472_Capture(2).thumb.PNG.d9958770cfd353f40fbd7407744ea39a.PNG

it's not perfect, I could've busted out my calculator..I'll leave you to that...but its damn close. the other plane is -15 baseline angle with a ridge height of 100 and slope of -12 as shown.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

this help?

740320472_Capture(2).thumb.PNG.d9958770cfd353f40fbd7407744ea39a.PNG

it's not perfect, I could've busted out my calculator..I'll leave you to that...but its damn close. the other plane is -15 baseline angle with a ridge height of 100 and slope of -12 as shown

thanks, sorry I'm so dense, but I still don't get it.  Please see attached marked-up copy of your drawing with questions

soffit test question.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

the DBX shown is for the plane highlighted in pink.

here is the other plane:

Capture.thumb.PNG.46082e8cf84d431ba4136974e9bf82a9.PNG

ahhh, finally got it!!  thanks!!  I didn't realize that baseline angle is in the "z" direction, I thought it was "x" or "y".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Member Statistics

    30212
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    Monikafb
    Newest Member
    Monikafb
    Joined