House As Symbol Topo Changes?

keithhe

Related to another thread, but topic different so started this thread so it does not get lost.

In placing a house symbol in a master plot plan for part of the hood (neighbor to target house) I learned that symbols do not retain or cut terrain. I have the actual contour GIS terrain elevations in, but clearly some grading is expected and the GIS data is likely not perfect on the 2' interval.

So, strategy to have it look correct? Recall this is neighbor house, which has very similar terrain slope to lake as does target house, so in its case just want it to look right. Is it best to cut the terrain elevation lines at the "house symbol" or just goof with the lines to get the basement excavated of the grass currently inside the house? Or, just add flat terrain regions where needed to make the symbol look correct?

Thanks,

just add flat terrain regions where needed to make the symbol look correct

I use Terrain/Elevation Data/Elevation Regions for that kind of stuff.

Stay away from the "Modifiers". Use those sparingly at the end to add "accents".

I wouldn't worry about cutting a hole for the neighbors.

Thanks Dave and Jim,

I've been playing around a little to get it just to look right, next door. The only thing that was happening of concern, and noticed at distance you could see terrain coming over a concrete patio below a deck. A terrain hole under that area fixed that. Not really concerned about what get through the walls to inside as that can't be seen.

Getting the house symbol geographically where it is actually positioned was easy, but getting the terrain to play nice with it was a bit of work. I think I have as well as is necessary for its purpose. I suspect this is easy too, with more experience on what does what to what. Split screens and experimentation helped that learning curve. I just have very limited experience with terrain as most of what I have done it is irrelevant.

Always learning though, and that is a good thing. Thanks again guys