Starter Board


builtright3
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Not quite the way you have it in your detail. However you can fake it in 3D if you don't have a fascia board by flipping the soffit material up directly under the sheathing.

Yea, now that you said that I remember doing that before. Now I just have to remember how I did it.

Another way I guess I could just change all the sheeting to T&G but the material list wont be right

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Not quite the way you have it in your detail. However you can fake it in 3D if you don't have a fascia board by flipping the soffit material up directly under the sheathing.

 

3 hours ago, solver said:

 

 

Here is another way that is actually really fast once you do it the first time.

My question would be. Can we make it show up in the materials list as ship lap? And could it calculate as square foot so material could be ordered from it?

Capture.thumb.PNG.3738b3ba6d739722a4a0cd823788d8f6.PNG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Here is another way that is actually really fast once you do it the first time.

My question would be. Can we make it show up in the materials list as ship lap? And could it calculate as square foot so material could be ordered from it?

 

Nice work.  That seems like it would be similar to the ceiling plane suggestion but maybe even easier ?

 

Apply the Ship Lap material to the soffit and Define the Material as Material List Calculation "Area".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

 

Nice work.  That seems like it would be similar to the ceiling plane suggestion but maybe even easier ?

 

Apply the Ship Lap material to the soffit and Define the Material as Material List Calculation "Area".

 

Problem is on the hip. The soffit cant be edited to do the angle and it sticks out.

Capture.thumb.PNG.0d0d0f8a1404e78630037ce55a7c4f3b.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

There is usually more than one way to skin the cat so you don't have to sleep in the doghouse. Good Work.

 

I think that was Perry's alternate when the interior ceiling is not exposed.  

 

I think maybe the ceiling plane idea would be a good solution on the inside because a cavity will need to be created for insulation anyway. Just a thought, haven't tried it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

The ceiling plane was another of Eric's ideas for the soffit area.  The interior room should be able to provide a ceiling inside the building.

Yes I read that. I thought with x11 I might find some other ways to skin the cat.

Thanks Chop! 

 

  

 

Edited by builtright3
Clarification
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

The ceiling plane was another of Eric's ideas for the soffit area.  The interior room should be able to provide a ceiling inside the building.

 

 

  

 

The T@G bottom layer can be added (as per my past post) to cover the eaves and you can use the soffit to do the inside T&G because most of the time we don't have hips to worry about on the inside. I think that will work nicely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The simplest way to do this is to use a roof plane to do the starter board!! just butt the ends! 

Roof planes will follow the baseline, will make all corners, hips, valleys, etc.

Very complex designs can be achieved by creating layered roof planes, meaning built up superimposed on top of the other, i.e. Roofing o/sheathing o/purlins o/sleepers o/sheathing o/planks o/framing and so on... It's just a matter of replicating them and changing the elevation slightly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, jorgearaya said:

The simplest way to do this is to use a roof plane to do the starter board!! just butt the ends! 

Roof planes will follow the baseline, will make all corners, hips, valleys, etc.

Very complex designs can be achieved by creating layered roof planes, meaning built up superimposed on top of the other, i.e. Roofing o/sheathing o/purlins o/sleepers o/sheathing o/planks o/framing and so on... It's just a matter of replicating them and changing the elevation slightly.

 

Yes I agree,

This T@G was actually created with a roof plane. I have been experimenting and your right it is a very powerful tool.

510141972_RoofPlane.thumb.PNG.6710db324d6b8ce6682f505dcda6f723.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Member Statistics

    31389
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    LeighSupplies
    Newest Member
    LeighSupplies
    Joined