3D Rendering Problem

Hatrak

Here's the skinny: Installed a solid circuit hard drive in my Vista laptop, loaded Win 10 and increased the Ram. Works fantastic now. Loaded Chief X5 (I am retired so see no need to spend $2400 to upgrade nor another $1300 or more for a new laptop). No problem. Loaded fine and boots up fast. Works just great except for one thing. It will not render in 3D. I get a copy of the plan page but no 3D render. Split screen show the 3D page as a blank (after it blinks a few times). I've loaded and reloaded too many time to count, tried "troubleshooting" and "compatible" mode. But no change. Noting wrong with the graphics card or anything else. A wee bit frustrated. Don't really want to call tech support as I will get charged for the time. Anyone have the answer???

Never been a problem before. Been using it for 10 yrs and always worked fine. Just wondering if there is something in the setting with Chief, but am drawing a blank. My whole purpose was to try to upgrade this laptop rather than buying a new one. It upgraded just fine. This is the only problem I've encountered.

Yup. Its pretty much what I suspected. The fault is in the video card. Apparently this card does not work correctly in Win 10, for what ever reason (it is 10 yrs old). And because it is integrated it doesn't leave me with much of an option.  I suppose I can remove Win 10 and install Win 7 and see if that works.  Kind of a hassle tho.

Thanks for the info.

8 hours ago, Hatrak said:

Eric;

Drivers up to date. NVIDIA GeForce Go7600. Has always worked fine in the past with no problems. Sufficient for need.

I am not surprise Nvidia says the last Driver was from 2009  for the 7 Series Cards.....but there seems to be support of Win7 32bit and Win7 64bit... and Vista.

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/8972

We are going to try a dual-boot (think that's the term) with the old hard drive with Vista. Chief worked fine with Vista before but booting up just took way too long....and a few other problems. If that does not work, will probably load Win 7. The laptop is working great now so really want to make Chief work.

Thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, Hatrak said:

We are going to try a dual-boot (think that's the term) with the old hard drive with Vista. Chief worked fine with Vista before but booting up just took way too long....and a few other problems. If that does not work, will probably load Win 7. The laptop is working great now so really want to make Chief work.

Thanks for the info.

If you are happy with Vista , just Clone the Vista HDD to the SSD and you should be good to go....Macrium Reflect Free works great for doing this kind of thing and making Images for backup purposes.  You can them put th eolfd HDD in a USB 3 Case and use it for the backups too.

M.

12 hours ago, Hatrak said:

My son in law is the one doing this and that is his plan. Thanks Mick.

Ok ,cool ...a dual boot would allow you to have Vista and Windows 10 on the Computer and then only run Vista when you wanted to run X5 , but if the VideoCard isn't working properly in Win10 , there is no point really, might work in Win7 though?

Lots of info online for doing either.....https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5166-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-vista.html

7forums,8Forums and 10Forums are goods places for all things Windows , including good tutorials.

M.