Controlling what shows in cross section views

BillsburgChief

Does anyone know of a way to control what is or is not shown in a Cross Section/Elevation and/or in Backflipped Cross Section views?  In Cross Section/Elevation everything is shown, almost like an x-ray view and in Backflipped Cross Section items beyond don't show.  Anyway to control this?  I'm trying to generate a true cross section that shows only items you are cutting through and items you would see beyond (not what is behind the cut line, like the pedestrian door inside the wall I that I am not cutting through).  I've attached a plan w/ a Cross Section/Elevation (on the right hand side) and Backflipped Cross Section (left hand side).

Thx,

Billy

18-018 Detached Garage.plan

Create the section elevation view.  Then, copy the associated layer set that is being used for the view.  It's probably the layer that is standard out of box (OOB).  Rename the new layer set as something else such as " Section View, No Walls"...or whatever you are trying to do. Then edit that layer set and turn on or off the layers you want to see for the view you are trying to create.  

The answer to what you see is learning how to control and design layer sets.

Well, is there a way to cut an accurate section w/o turning on and renaming all the framing layers and turning off and renaming all the millwork, etc?  What about CMU foundation walls that show up behind a concrete slab?  I can mask over most of this stuff w/ filled polylines or export to auto cad and clean it up, but it is already drawn and you think there would be an easier way w/o wasting valuable time.  In the attached section I have created the roof w/ 2x12 rafters but they show at 15" and I'm not even sure what I'm looking at, Uggh!

All you need to do is "re-frame" your roof...and the section will be correct.  You might want to turn on "automatic" roof framing?

490482905_RoofSection2.thumb.png.306871d679321b33ce3c3537f2584819.png   890550110_RoofSection1.thumb.png.2b60e5bef02ed2e6c04ff3fa50164dcf.png

Here I've built all the framing...roof, walls and floors....and then turned those layers on in the Section View layer set.

2051857238_RoofSection3.thumb.png.6a74c7cb38a2370ac2dfce31408947e6.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillsburgChief said:

Well, is there a way to cut an accurate section w/o turning on and renaming all the framing layers and turning off and renaming all the millwork, etc?  What about CMU foundation walls that show up behind a concrete slab?  I can mask over most of this stuff w/ filled polylines or export to auto cad and clean it up, but it is already drawn and you think there would be an easier way w/o wasting valuable time.  In the attached section I have created the roof w/ 2x12 rafters but they show at 15" and I'm not even sure what I'm looking at, Uggh!

You might try downloading one the Chief Architect sample plans...such as the "Lake Point" or the "Grandview".  Look at the layout page that is included and find the sections they created...open the view and examine the layer set that they used to create the view.  I think they start with the Section View set...copy it, then modify it to show just what they want to see.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BillsburgChief said:

Not really sure what you want to see but in the 2nd plan you posted all I did was turn on the back clip for the view (Elev.7) and built the Wall Framing....., then hit Auto detail........the Rafters were already 11 1/4" so I don't know where you are seeing 15"

( your 1st plan in the OP has no cross sections in it at all btw)

image.thumb.png.4dbbfe3bf644e575675bc6ab3b6179ee.png

• Like 1