Disappearing materials in PBR

Cheryl_C_Crane

6 hours ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

Ha Ha Ha! 

Ha Ha Ha.PNG

Well at least it's there :)   I guess it was you that made it Brass , pretty sure it wasn't me --- yuk !

sorry I wasn't around earlier , my ISP was here 1/2 the Day it seems installing their New Router etc , so I was Offline most of the day.

Have you tried Ambient Occlusion at about 30% , at 100% I see weird ( to me) shadows in all the Corners and at the Ceiling Wall line. I see you have Shadows and Reflections off too which surprised me as I usually have them on ....for Client Pics at least.

I use the Sky3 Background with PBR usually but even it can add a Colour Cast , but I usually prefer a "Cooler" look (blue) myself.

Once I wasn't using CA's emissive Lamp Fabric , I didn't notice anymore Issues , so I am not quite sure what Graham is seeing with the Trees?

I think I have seen Others saying they Use "Billboards" outside the Windows at the edge of the Terrain Plane with Images stuck on them to help Control the colour cast of the standard backgrounds but I haven't tried that myself yet.

Oh , noticed you don't have a Foundation Built on the House , it's always a good Idea to build a foundation and put a roof on even foe an Interior Reno , as it helps CA manage lighting better especially Light Bleed under furniture and around cabinets etc.

M.

8 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Once I wasn't using CA's emissive Lamp Fabric , I didn't notice anymore Issues , so I am not quite sure what Graham is seeing with the Trees

Hi Mick - If you go back to the original file, open up a camera view towards the island pendants. Slowly move the camera so the pendant lamp shade crosses the patio door. If you watch carefully you will notice that the portion of the lamp shade that disappears corresponds to the 2D plants outside. Need to watch closely as there are so many trees out there that it can look as if it disappearing according to the patio doors glass. Turn off the lamp shades transparency and the lamp shade stays intact. Delete the trees and the lamp shade stays intact even when it has a transparency. I replaced the 2D trees with 3D ones from the bonus library and the lamp shade, even with a transparency, remained intact.

If you also watch closely you will notice trees will completely disappear at times depending upon the camera angle. I have seen this behavior before, no idea why, it's as if they get clipped from the scene.

21 hours ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

Oh, outside. Geeze that's how I control the greenish cast, and glare of PBR. Wow, I hate to hear this! The file will be H U G E if I used 3D exterior landscaping.

I've not seen a fabric lampshade yet that didn't have SOME transparency. This is terrible news!

Thanks, Graham.. I don't want to kill the messenger, so I'll stop. I do appreciate your thoughts.

Not sure it's too big of a deal. I checked your original file size and then the one where I replaced the 2D trees with 3D ones, the file sizes where almost identical.

If you like to introduce a color cast into your scene there are some other ways to do this without being dependent upon the backdrop.

1.) You can assign a color to the sun.

2.) You can assign a color to some or all of your lights.

3.) This is the technique I use the most. Place a 3D spot light outside, say about 80 or 100 feet from your structure. Set it's height to about 40 feet off the ground. Set the tilt to say -30 degrees and aim it towards the structure. Make sure shadows are turned "Off". Now assign the color you wish to cast. With the PBR scene displayed open up the adjust lights DBX and start adjusting the intensity of this light, it will vary according to how intense your sun setting is. You now have complete and independent control over the cast. By changing the lights tilt and direction you can control what surfaces receive the most cast.

PBR without exterior color cast 3D spot light

5b9a6341d174f_Cheryl1copy.thumb.jpg.85a64fd2808ac4560371dd4ff34d7a20.jpg

PBR with exterior color cast 3D spot light. (I cranked it up so the effect would be more obvious)
5b9a6363bf736_CherylColorCastCopy.thumb.jpg.7bea6ea5b23dba285f862932bf375462.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to all thoughts! Unfortunately, I won't be able to get back to finishing this plan until next Monday. 

Another thought on about the situation with this particular plan - It was a Save-AS from a 2350 Side View plan that I did a few years ago (I think X5).  The 2350 plan was NOT staged with furnishings.

Thanks you all again, ~C

4 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Hi Mick - If you go back to the original file, open up a camera view towards the island pendants. Slowly move the camera so the pendant lamp shade crosses the patio door. If you watch carefully you will notice that the portion of the lamp shade that disappears corresponds to the 2D plants outside. Need to watch closely as there are so many trees out there that it can look as if it disappearing according to the patio doors glass. Turn off the lamp shades transparency and the lamp shade stays intact. Delete the trees and the lamp shade stays intact even when it has a transparency. I replaced the 2D trees with 3D ones from the bonus library and the lamp shade, even with a transparency, remained intact.

If you also watch closely you will notice trees will completely disappear at times depending upon the camera angle. I have seen this behavior before, no idea why, it's as if they get clipped from the scene.

Thanks Graham , I had noticed it seemed to happen more over the Tree Leaves in the Windows and Doors , but did not look into it further once I changed the Lamp Fabric, either way hopefully Support can figure it out and issue a fix , but it sounds like they need to Update the 2D Plant libraries for PBR if you are also seeing them "disappear" occasionally.

PS . I think Cheryl was trying to stop the colour cast of the background (common in PBR) not Add one .... but maybe I misunderstood that... I think I have seen MarkMc say he uses Large White Solids he calls Billboards.

M.

Thanks, gentlemen!:rolleyes:

- Support Answer -

Kirk Clemons
Wednesday, Sep 12, 2018 - 01:29 PM PDT
It appears that this is actually due to the plant images.

If you turn off the plant's layer, the lampshade material renders correctly. This has been reported to our developers.

As to your question regarding the materials being added to your library, yes, you can. If you open the plan materials dialog and select any material in the list, you can customize it, copy it, and add it to your library.

-Kirk
Cheryl Crane
Wednesday, Sep 12, 2018 - 12:47 PM PDT
Thanks for looking at this, Kurt. My naive understanding is that I can take a material and morph it into something quite different by using the material settings. I can then save this in My Materials Library. Is this incorrect?