Define Wall Type: Suggestions

ModernStyle

Hey all!

I have searched and searched and searched but couldn't find a relevant thread, so if one exists, I apologize!

I am looking to build a house [or rather, begin the process] within the coming year but I am incredibly bad at conveying ideas in my head. Therefore, I figured it would be best to toy around with Chief Architect to 'learn' what it is that I may want or need, and vice versa, while putting it down on paper. 

I was just curious to see if you guys had any favorite wall setups: exterior materials, insulation, framing, etc. I have access to concrete so I am going to go that route, but I understand that the R Value is very low. Living in the northeast, I'd like something more substantial. My mentality is quality over quantity so I would absolutely like to build something bomb proof (Not literally). I am looking at roughly 10,000 sq ft because...four kids, parents, in-laws and many out-of-town friends/family. Since I have always loved the idea of a catwalk, I understand that the load will be significant, so would you recommend 12" concrete walls for the exterior 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floor? With the exterior finish, insulation, framing and drywall, I can see the walls being THICK! Nor sure if that's what I would want or if it would look off.

Obviously you cannot give me a definitive answer: 'you NEED 12" walls'. But, I guess I am just looking for your opinions on what you have seen in the past (6" vs 8" vs 10" and then framing/insulation). I am looking for longevity, noise isolation, and efficiency.

Thank you!!

Edit, here is the catwalk that I am thinking about: https://imgur.com/a/mcBhRMB

If you are after all the things you listed the only product that comes to mind is ICF ( Insulated Concrete Forms ).

One of the leading manufactures is: http://www.nudura.com/

This can be drawn with Chief with only slight modification of a default wall type.

If you are serious about efficiency there seems to be a little too much glass in your linked example.

Yes, thank you! I have been looking at ICF rather than the traditional pour. Regardless, there are options on width: 4" to 12". Any thoughts on the dimensions?

Haha, yes, I was just playing around with the window. I do love the look since there will be a negative edge pool behind it, but to your point, it's not efficient. 

8 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

The thickness is more of an engineering thing depending on how high the walls are going to be but usually a 6" minimum for one story in my area.  If the concrete is free why not pour a little extra.

I am 91.6% positive that I will need 10" walls, but as you mentioned, if I have access to concrete, why not pour a 12" wall. My concern: will an extra 2" make a big difference in terms of sill width; will it look too deep (With the insulation and drywall), will the extra width not be worth it if I have large windows, how much sunlight will be cut out, etc.? I, for the life of me, cannot find a 12" pour in my area, which is odd. Google is letting me down, too!

Curious as to why you would use concrete for your walls - at all. You have access to it? What does that mean exactly and I only ask because we all have access to concrete? Do you like the look? Do you like the idea in general? If you like the look then it will be hard to get that look both inside and out with out a third insulating wall type between concrete pours and as you know the insulation values of concrete are low at best and in the North East that has to be factor no?

We built a poured in place concrete structure here in San Diego but the insulation needs are very low coastal and high inland where we could not build the same structure because of the high AC needs in the summer.

ICF could be a great option but it will look nothing like 'concrete' when your finishes are applied but you will get some decent R values - and get to use concrete. Still curious about the desire to use concrete? And really just that - curious.