Creating Custom Cabinets Doors/Drawers sizing problems

luisvh

Hello I want to create a custom cabinet door/drawer using an aluminum frame and crystal like in the pictures I'm updloading. I created it already using polyline and convert it to a symbol. however when I use it on the cabinet's doors or drawers the symbol dont mantain the proportions of the aluminum frame. How I cand accomplish this? hope some one helps!  thanks 

This is the symbol imported to the user catalog , note that the aluminum frame proportions are not equal.

Capture.thumb.JPG.90d977e621489707a92e729997b019ee.JPG

This is the frame I want to create using polylines.

TB175yemMvD8KJjy0FlXXagBFXa.thumb.jpg.ced2d2ceccb2780429e508fa96637dc5.jpg

Assuming that the screen shot you posted is of a door that is wider and shorter than the symbol you created you will need to set up  vertical and horizontal stretch zones.  Place a similar door from the Core Catalog into your plan and take a look at the Symbol Sizing setup and you will see how it is done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Placing "Stretch Planes" at

• x = 0
  • y = 1"
  • z = 6"

or whatever the metric equivalents are should do the trick.

thanks, but i think I'm still doing something wrong. I've still the same no proportional results.  Hope you can let me know what to do, i'm uploading the pictures of the convert to symbol steps. THANKs!

Capture.thumb.JPG.88a2a96cd17eccb2e50e6d744498b288.JPGCapture2.thumb.JPG.607459254072d2990fe0a677708c7f49.JPGCapture3.thumb.JPG.4994c2080ceced1085c1a45e274144e2.JPGCapture4.thumb.JPG.a22a2291834adc580f0ffc3f78719914.JPGCapture5.thumb.JPG.ad3acc4900349de2bd4289dc602e0b7d.JPG

7 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Assuming that the screen shot you posted is of a door that is wider and shorter than the symbol you created you will need to set up  vertical and horizontal stretch zones.  Place a similar door from the Core Catalog into your plan and take a look at the Symbol Sizing setup and you will see how it is done.

thanks how I do that, sorry, I'm just learning this software.

18 minutes ago, luisvh said:

thanks, but i think I'm still doing something wrong. I've still the same no proportional results.  Hope you can let me know what to do, i'm uploading the pictures of the convert to symbol steps. THANKs!

Capture.thumb.JPG.88a2a96cd17eccb2e50e6d744498b288.JPGCapture2.thumb.JPG.607459254072d2990fe0a677708c7f49.JPGCapture3.thumb.JPG.4994c2080ceced1085c1a45e274144e2.JPGCapture4.thumb.JPG.a22a2291834adc580f0ffc3f78719914.JPGCapture5.thumb.JPG.ad3acc4900349de2bd4289dc602e0b7d.JPG

In the last panel, check the "x" stretch plane box.  The stretch Plane specs tell Chief where to limit stretching.  In this case

• width stretching will be limited to the center of the symbol
  • height stretching will occur above the bottom frame and below the top frame
  • depth can not be stretched since it would occur outside of the door thickness.

Since you didn't check the "x" stretch plane box, the width is stretched uniformly instead of just at the center of width.

Note that the origin of symbols in Chief (0,0,0) is (center,back,bottom).  Stretch Plane positions are relative to the symbol origin.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

In the last panel, check the "x" stretch plane box.  The stretch Plane specs tell Chief where to limit stretching.  In this case

• width stretching will be limited to the center of the symbol
  • height stretching will occur above the bottom frame and below the top frame
  • depth can not be stretched since it would occur outside of the door thickness.

Since you didn't check the "x" stretch plane box, the width is stretched uniformly instead of just at the center of width.

Note that the origin of symbols in Chief (0,0,0) is (center,back,bottom).  Stretch Plane positions are relative to the symbol origin.

Thanks a lot! after I did what you suggested to configure in the strech planes , I was still  having problems with the heigth proportions, so I tried some configurations but I get lost with all of them and I cant remember what I did but it worked!, last question... how I can get what configuration on the stretch planes I used? :wacko:  thansk a lot!:D

Capture9.thumb.JPG.76bda272f9bb43bc280f5e402f80dcc0.JPG

53 minutes ago, luisvh said:

thanks how I do that, sorry, I'm just learning this software.

When I was learning symbols I printed out the pages for Editing Custom Symbols from the reference manual to refer to. I keep a copy of the reference manual on my machine with a shortcut on my desktop and in my working directory, another copy on my phone and tablet. I refer to them regularly and just read sections every now and then.

It can get really frustrating fast trying to learn the software by just clicking, and wastes time unnecessarily. Short of going through all the tutorials another thing you can do is hit the help button or press F1 when you have a tool in use that you aren't familiar with yet (I love F1:) it opens help in a second window so you can refer to it when adjusting whatever you're adjusting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luisvh said:

how I can get what configuration on the stretch planes I used?

1. Right Click - Select your symbol in the Library
  2. Open the Symbol dbx (the little chair)
  3. Check the settings there
  4. You can also change them there so in many cases you don't have to go thru the "Create Symbol" process over and over to get it right.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1