Measurements

joeyp42690

I am having difficulty with a project i am working with. I’m doing a remodeling job that the house is on pillar and the addition to the front on the owner wants to put it on slab. The house it self is on 2’ pillars, plus the house has 8’ walls. When I try to come off the exiting top plate of the house and build the addition with 9’ walls, in which the new room will be below 1’ of the pillars the program automatically changes the house to 9’ wall and everything stays even how do I get it to not change my existing walls?

I don't want to stick my nose into this too far, but generally, if a house was originally built using pier and grade beams, it is usually because the soil bearing capacity is not very good. Using a different type of foundation (slab) is asking for differential settlement issues. The least competent person to be giving you directions on the type of foundation to use is the homeowner. I would strongly encourage you to seek the services of an engineer.

The first thing you need to do is complete the outside wall in the main room, there currently is no wall connection. That will allow you to keep the room's spec's separate from the other rooms. Then you have to mess with floor heights, ceiling heights, slab construction etc. till it looks the way you want.

The attached plan will get you started. ...and the whole plan works better with "Walls With Footings" instead of Grade Beams on Piers for the foundation spec.

Brent Summers 3.plan

• Upvote 1

Also, how am I supposed to start using chief again? it keeps telling me that;

The file "C:\Users\josafat\Desktop\Brent Summers.plan" appears to be locked.  This could be the result of another user or program using the file.  This may also result from having insufficient security privileges to access this file.