ShowmeCHIEF

decks over retaining walls

Hey guys, I have a deck that has its edge perch directly over a retaining wall. The retaining wall's zenith seems to be interfering with my deck structure. Any suggestions?

Deck Plan 1.0.plan

Edited by ShowmeCHIEF
added file

It looked okay from what I could see....  but make your retaining walls non room def...  again I looked quickly and did not understand the issue

open wall dbx and you have the option of defining it as non room definition.  

I did that but doesnt seem to have made any difference, not sure what that option does?

Not sure if you ever got this sorted or not but i took a quick glance at you plan and I think in that particular situation you may be better off putting your terrain and retaining walls onto the floor below.  

Select walls, Cut, change floor, Paste Hold Position.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    nrafiq
    Newest Member
    nrafiq

• By cjanderson66
      I have designed a very large deck and the client wanted to take 2' off in one direction and another 3' in the other.  I have custom framed the deck framing per the engineer and don't want to change the framing.  The problem is that I need to rebuild the deck in order to not show the decking from overhanging the framing.  Is there a way to just rebuild the decking and not the framing of the deck itself. as you can from the rendering shown below you can see that the decking overhangs the decking.  Everytime I rebuild it it changes the framing per CA.

• By Markis
      Hello,
        I am having issues trying to show balusters in plan view. I clicked on draw newels and baluster , does not show.
      im on version 11.  
        thanks 
      mark

• By MikeCSD
      Hello, I am the owner of Custom Structure Designs and a practicing, licensed, municipal Building Official with the State of Connecticut. Please contact me if you have a need for new home, remodeling, kitchen, or addition plans. I am also available for code consulting on residential and commercial projects.

Custom Structure Designs
      Michael Roraback
      Manchester, CT
      860-682-4740
    • By BusinessBuilder
      MG Construction & Decks is looking to hire an architect or construction designer for exterior remodeling. We are running a contest to hire one talented individual to join our team. We want this competition to be fair. Selecting a winner is simple, we will submit everyone’s work to our Instagram account, whoever gets the most likes on their design will win $1,000 and an internship to work for us part time or full time (depending on the quality of ongoing work). The winner will be able to work remotely and/or have an opportunity to come work at our Los Angeles office.
      CONTENDERS – WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
      We are providing limited information for the contest itself because we want to see how creative you can be.
      Create a 3D design that fits the following backyard image and email us (Email Subject: Contest Submission – Your Name) by clicking here.
      CLOSING DATE & ANNOUNCEMENTS
      All submissions must be submitted by February 15th and the winner will be announced Febuary 15th on our Instagram account.
      MG Construction & Decks is located in Los Angeles, California and specializes in exterior remodeling, interior remodeling and Deck Building.

https://mgcdecks.com/deckbuilding/2019-exterior-outdoor-deck-design-competition/
    • By KirkHodgson
      I'm looking to make my retaing wall larger than the terrain heights.
      In the instructions in this page, https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00652/changing-the-height-of-a-retaining-wall.html
      I did all the steps, but the last point. In section/elevation, when I try to click the retaining walls, nothing happens. I don't get boxes or any selection at all.
      What is happening that I can't make this selection?
      I want to make my wall 6" above the grade/terrain elevation, and I want to drop the foundation of the wall by 24". How do I do this?

Please assist.
      Thank you.