Instacrabb

Using Trailer DWG as Foundation

Hello All,

I've got a gooseneck trailer base that I'd like to build a house on in X9.

I have the DWG file, yet whenever I try to build walls, they go through the trailer and into the terrain. When I raise the walls, the flooring material is still sitting on the ground under the trailer.

Is there any way to have the trailer base 3D file act as a foundation? Can I specify something so that the program knows to build the walls on top of the 3D object?

Do I need to create foundation walls following the profile, and then make them invisible to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thank you, and let me know if you need any further clarification. I have attached the DWG file for reference.

TRAILER_34 FOOT_GOOSENECK - updated for TH11.dwg

You could adjust the Room elevation to sit on top of the trailer but it would likely be easier to keep the subfloor at the default 00 and move the trailer and terrain down to accommodate. 

• Upvote 1

You should try to find a 3D Trailer model.  There are many at the 3D Warehouse and if you can't find one that's exactly the right size you can modify it using the Transform Replicate tool.  If necessary you can open the Symbol dbx and set stretch planes so the resizing will be at the correct places.

Hi Joe,

I do have a developed trailer, it's just a DWG file. Is there something people are doing with the 3D warehouse trailers that specify the program build on top of them? My issue isn't importing the trailer model, it's getting the program to see it as a foundation and build the walls and floor on top of said model.

B

B,   It is just a matter of figuring out what level the trailer frame is at and setting that to be at the level of your floor framing by using the trailer symbol DBX or Transform and Replicate Dialogue.  You could even select it in 3D or elevation view and just eyeball it and place it in the correct position.

4 minutes ago, Instacrabb said:

it's getting the program to see it as a foundation and build the walls and floor on top of said model.

The program is clueless about your trailer.

3 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

You could adjust the Room elevation to sit on top of the trailer but it would likely be easier to keep the subfloor at the default 00 and move the trailer and terrain down to accommodate. 

Does this not work?

Here is a building sitting atop an auto lift from the library.

ct1.thumb.jpg.108cfaa695153bb69064285f736b3e88.jpg

Hi gents,

That definitely works to a certain extent. It doesn't account for wheel wells, or the gooseneck platform, but it seems like there might just not be an easy way around it. I'll keep playing around with and modifying walls, and report back should I find anything further.

Thanks for the advice!

B

27 minutes ago, Instacrabb said:

Hi Joe,

I do have a developed trailer, it's just a DWG file. Is there something people are doing with the 3D warehouse trailers that specify the program build on top of them? My issue isn't importing the trailer model, it's getting the program to see it as a foundation and build the walls and floor on top of said model.

B

Yes, but basically, you have to set the floor level of the house (bottom of framing) and the top of the trailer bed to the same elevation.  Once you've done that you can "lock the trailer layer" and proceed with the design.

So assuming you have a trailer bed that's 18" above the terrain and you want to frame the floor with 2x6's and 3/4" plywood (6.25" total) you would set the Floor Structure so that the Floor Elevation to 24.25".

29 minutes ago, Instacrabb said:

It doesn't account for wheel wells, or the gooseneck platform,

That's because the program has no idea there is a trailer there. It's just a generic shape.

If you want cutouts for the fenders, just make them in the wall.

ct1.thumb.jpg.7b7d87b66f5c52f9b02443f933420c8b.jpg