Roof Help

Sweeney

Per usual, I am having trouble getting things to work with manual roofs. Trying to accomplish something like the attached picture and can't quite make it happen. Is there a way to trim rafter tails, like you can with trusses using a truss base?  Wondering what you recommend for this kind of overlay.  I have attached a quick detail to help portray what I am going for.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Austin 

5aa1f9e0ead34_ScreenShot2018-03-08at9_57_19PM.thumb.png.dd551767c73278bbe98d767407a1f089.png5aa1f9d67468f_ScreenShot2018-03-08at9_42_31PM.thumb.png.88bb5c6b2d6c20192b820f4b556b8ddc.png

Others know far more about framing than I, but I had this model open so I gave it a try.

There is no ceiling on my porch, and the front wall of the house is brick.

I don't think Chief will generate the flat 2x laying on the main rafters, but this looks close.

What specifically are you having trouble with?

ct1.thumb.jpg.a5a048df9fb05fdc9748b43c24a8b6d7.jpg

Thanks for the response Eric, I guess what I am really having a hard time with is the gable end of the porch roof and how to get it to fill in completely (see attached photo).

5aa201ca6bda2_ScreenShot2018-03-08at10_31_07PM.thumb.png.5bb23940a80d2931a83c24c5297b9998.png

I will have to manually manipulate the rafters after I get them as close as I can with Auto-roofs, which is a pain, but it is what it is. 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EmersonGraceD
    Newest Member
    EmersonGraceD

• By Designer100
      I cannot get roof to work on right side of house to work out. . I would appreciate anyones help. 8:12 on for gable. rest of roofs are 4:12. Remodeling additional. dark shaded walls are new walls. 
      Has to be kept in ver 12, because client wants to be able to pull up in chief 12. 
      Thanks in advance.

Newell Cheatheam
      Chief 12 

924 Cortlandt.zip
    • By jparkerrendering
      I figured this question has been addressed many times but I couldn't find it in the forum,
      I'm running into a frequent issue when creating box eaves on dormers and custom roof planes. They disappear only when the ridge is connected with an adjacent roof.
      The box eaves will reappear if I separate the roof ridge line, (as shown in my attached photos),or move my roof base line Away from the wall by the desired eave distance, or when I drag the plane inside the outer wall perimeter.

If anyone else has experienced the same issue or is aware of a practical work around, I am all ears.

I appreciate your time for reviewing this post.
    • By MichelleMartel
      I am modifying a plan & I needed to remove this section of a porch that extended along the entire front and had a continuous concrete slab.   When I shorten the wall on the left to the width I need it, it automatically deletes the slab floor in this section & the siding/walls are leaving a gap. I tried deleting the walls all together and replacing them with a new wall and nothing changed. I tried lowering the porch flooring an inch lower than the garage (which is -24) and this still happens.  The original slab is a 0.
      Any idea how to fix this issue please and thank you. 

• By Designer100
      I cannot get the breezeway roof on the opposite side to work and slope with stairs. I would appreciate any help. 
      Colburn.zip
    • By j2narchitecture
      I am using the railing to auto generate columns and beam for an exterior porch.
      For some reason, the railing is generating 4 -1/2 columns, where only 3 are needed. 
      The spacing is set to 8' o.c. for the columns. 
      How can I correct this so that only 3 columns are being generated?
      Any feedback is appreciated.
      See attached plan file and circled area on the pics.
      TIA

PLAN FILE