Countertop overhang help!

fmrkva9525

Ive been designing and modeling a few pieces of furniture and builtins here in chief and for some reason I'm having issues with countertop overhangs when a cabinet is butted to another cabinet that is a different depth. Ive attached a photo, but ive never ran into this issue in x9. I have countertops set in my defaults to be the same all the way around, but for some reason when a cabinet is placed adjacent to another, the cabinet with the larger depth will not carry the correct overhang to its adjacent cabinet.
5a8e4395332f3_Screenshot(18).thumb.png.a4113e3a2b9ad53d6f30a0c845c24fdd.png

I believe cabinets and their automatically produced countertops have always done that.  I also think you're fighting this particular battle for no really good reason.  If I were you I would remove that countertop edge molding profile from the cabinets, group select the cabinets, click Generate Custom Countertop, resize the top as needed, and then add the molding to your countertop.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I believe cabinets and their automatically produced countertops have always done that.  I also think you're fighting this particular battle for no really good reason.  If I were you I would remove that countertop edge molding profile from the cabinets, group select the cabinets, click Generate Custom Countertop, resize the top as needed, and then add the molding to your countertop.

Thank you, I should of thought of that in the first place

5a8e565f79b76_Screenshot(19).thumb.png.db7996e4df88a18700c3946fca1b70c8.png

1 hour ago, fmrkva9525 said:

Thank you, I should of thought of that in the first place

5a8e565f79b76_Screenshot(19).thumb.png.db7996e4df88a18700c3946fca1b70c8.png

This was an Issue a few years ago but I think it has been fixed now..... since we can adjust overhangs on all edges now , and the auto countertop is smarter now in these situations , check the STD cabinets in the attached plan... they seem okay to me after a few adjustments.... I saved a number of cameras and sections....

And in this case it was not necessary to do a Custom Top either as your cabinet has applied moldings , so on the middle cabinet I just added a 1" piece behind the the Edge molding to push it out, seems to have worked....

5.thumb.JPG.05a3c4cd0161bbc94f7e7edb0e8f5e31.JPG6.thumb.JPG.fa7b4477c0ebfd14d342d6413687af37.JPG

jennaWINEGARDNERentertainmentcenter_MHD.plan

M.

• Upvote 1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mikedanderton
    Newest Member
    mikedanderton

• By jlcDesign
      Ladies & Gentlemen, there doesn't appear to be any decent hoses in the Kohler catalog unless you count either the one that comes with the slide bar or the one that's made to connect way up high.  I'm doing a kind-of foot (or dog) washing station, and I want to either create or otherwise acquire a hose.  I've tried with doing a molding polyline in elevation view, but the problem is that it has to curve both left/right and front/back.  See attached.  Love to hear some insight!

• By MarkMc
      Updated 2/28-added cabinet doors into schedule-one on it's own floating and example of it on a cabinet.
      Changed the corbel procedure-instead of specifying the symbol should be "inside" the cabinet I now embed the "holding cabinet" into where the corbel goes. This allows proper vector and watercolor views. Revised plan attached

I finally found a way to get millwork into the cabinet schedule without using architectural blocks. Problem with blocks is the dimensions read based on orientation in the space and not on the object.
      It's a bit of a futz at first but I'm happy. Once set up the stuff can live in the library.
      Place the millwork in a new plan, convert to symbol _CABINET DOOR instead of millwork. You will have to work with the origin and stretch zones. Origin will vary if it is going in as inset or trad overlay.
      Then place a cabinet, futx with the dbx (most need to have opening for back and both sides) In 3d vector view I change the sides of the cabinet to "opening no material"
      Once cabinet is done save to library- can later add a different millwork door to it to save work.

Plan shows a schedule, two millwork "doors" and a couple of cabinets using them for reference. Open all dbxs to get the idea. (no not doing a video)

I also placed at the bottom of the plan what I've been doing to get moldings, loose accessories, touch up kits, toe kick etc into the cabinet schedule. These are also saved to the library for reuse.
      The Text callout is placed once and copied. Dimensions can be adjust to read properly but the quantities are off so I put that into the label.
      Bracket sch.plan

• By since1937
      How can I enclose the roof overhang so the beams/trusses aren’t exposed when walking outside from French doors? In the picture I colored in red where I’m trying to not have an open overhang. The overhang is 8’, and I will have structural posts to hold up overhang.

• By RenoByDesign
      When I'm building my roof, I put in a dimension for my roof overhang and it doesn't matter what number I put in the dialog box, it only draws it at 20" deep. What am I doing wrong? I need to fix this so I can draw my roof lines correctly and send out for a roofing quote. I am using Chief Architect Premier X12.
      Thank you, Melissa

• By goshgolly
      I'm sure this has been discussed, but I can't find anything specific that answers this question.

I'm trying to create a simple vanity with two drawers and an open shelf underneath (see inspiration image of "vanity").  I simply can't figure out a way/remember how to add a shelf other than by using the shelf command. While this works visually, it treats it as a separate part of the vanity, thereby creating two separate pieces.  In the Working Plan and Kitchen and Bath View plans, the shelf shows up on top of the sink while the 3d view shows the shelf in the correct place!  I guess maybe it's, in part, a layers thing?

I know there has to be a better way of doing this.  What am I missing/forgetting?