Locating Stair Objects in Cross Section

wjmdes

I think I am out of luck, but.... Two issues with stairs and sections.

• I have written a few macros I use in the plans for stair information, however I am unable to locate the stair in section view.  It would make more sense to have this information on the section.

5a7e18624f3c8_StairIssue.thumb.jpg.6f83a4b0f48f8f29fe5404c59ead4f3e.jpg

• If I cut the section through the stair, I am able to dimension treads and risers, i.e. Chief can locate the objects and locate the landing.  If I pull the section away and the stairs get drawn in "elevation", the only thing Chief will locate is the top of the landing.  I have to place points and adjust the distance to get the correct dimension for treads and risers.  Chief is however able to locate casing in this same view.

Hoping I am wrong and someone knows a workaround......

54 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

I think I am out of luck, but.... Two issues with stairs and sections.

• I have written a few macros I use in the plans for stair information, however I am unable to locate the stair in section view.  It would make more sense to have this information on the section.

5a7e18624f3c8_StairIssue.thumb.jpg.6f83a4b0f48f8f29fe5404c59ead4f3e.jpg

• If I cut the section through the stair, I am able to dimension treads and risers, i.e. Chief can locate the objects and locate the landing.  If I pull the section away and the stairs get drawn in "elevation", the only thing Chief will locate is the top of the landing.  I have to place points and adjust the distance to get the correct dimension for treads and risers.  Chief is however able to locate casing in this same view.

Hoping I am wrong and someone knows a workaround......

Unfortunately I think your best and easiest solution is probably to label in plan and use global variable for elevations.  Only way to access object attributes directly in elevations is either to use the actual object label (not available for stairs) or a referenced macro and those only work with CAD in elevations (a very last resort anyway due to disconnect problems).  Most plans only have a couple sets of stairs anyway, so a couple global variables shouldn’t be too hard to manage.  

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Most plans only have a couple sets of stairs anyway, so a couple global variables shouldn’t be too hard to manage.

Can you fill me in on a global variable.....and how to assign it.  If it gets too complicated they work just fine on the plan, not ideal, but they work.

stairswjm.json

6 hours ago, wjmdes said:

The stair Object in plan has all the necessary variables, it just appears you can not locate the stairs in section?!?

That is correct.  You just need to modify your macros something like this...

$StairRiserNo_A=obj.num_treads+1 rescue $StairRiserNo_A

You can then use the macro in plan view (which will initiate the global variable) and the same macro in a text box in elevation (which will raise an error and therefore execute that rescue exception and just display the global variable).  

Just remember that the macro in plan view needs to be visible if you want accurate results.  There are a number of methods to do that without actually having to see the text such as setting the number height to zero but you can play around with it and see what works for you.