jlcDesign

Stair Railings on top of a wall

Hey there, community.  I've been hacking my way through this situation for over 10 years, and have some ideas, but thought I'd see what you all think.  How do you set a railing on top of a wall?  Rather than over-explaining, just look at the pic.  That's exactly what I want to do.  I know there are probably 5 ways to pull it off, but it's just so time consuming.  Thanks!

12-12-2017 11-20-48 AM.jpg

Chief has yet to give us this ability in any reasonable fashion.  Much work-around required.  You can get close using a ramp instead of a wall but there are some down-sides to that approach (yet it may work for you).

Checkout this thread.

Thanks, Johhny.  I was going the route of convert to symbol, but using the ramp to get the right angle is pretty awesome.  Still a P.I. the A. but faster now :)

Glad you asked this question JLC...  my builder wants to make this SOP now on all his houses.  Here is another picture.  I will find Johnny's thread from April to get a better grasp.

stair railing wall.jpg

The ramp idea works very well.  It's just very time-consuming.  

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    slickrick1530
    Newest Member
    slickrick1530

• By MRMChief
      Happy Holidays everyone.

I have a plan where I have a few places I need an exterior wall above a roof section, but a railing, or in one case, no wall below.  Is there a way to do this in Chief Architect X11?  The one opening in my screen shot shows some exterior molding, but no wall.  On the one that has the railing below it, I tried the lower wall type if split by roof, but I couldn't get it to show as a wall above and a railing below.  It was either only a railing or all wall.

I am on a macbook pro..

Thanks,

Michael

• By MTL-Homes
      Anybody have any idea whats going on with the intersections of these deck railings and the exterior walls? Cant get the original default siding to go away at the intersection. Have tried editing default material and making adjustments with the wall layer extents tool.

• By judyjudyjudy
      Never had this problem until X11.  My porch railings have double posts near the house wall.  No post at wall is checked tried it both ways).  Tried changing the spacing between posts...either gets rid of both or has two.

• By MaxStudio
      Hi Everyone,

I have an L-shaped stair with a landing at the center.  Is there a way to independently apply railings or other specifications to just the top or bottom portion of the stair?

Thanks
    • By MaxStudio
      Hi Everyone,

I am having an issue with an L-shaped stair.  The lower portion of the stair is wider than the landing and overlaps the wall.  The railing should die into the wall like shown but, the corner of the wall is not showing.  I'm assuming it is because the stair itself is preventing the wall below from extending up (see photos 1A, 1B, 1C)
      I have a stair to the basement directly below this stair which is why I'm using a wall below (to define the the "open to below" space)

My attempt at fixing this issue was to make the wall below the stair invisible (which allows me to maintain the "open to below" space)
      I then selected the stair and deselected "Open Underneath" via the Style menu.
      This looks correct in the perspective view but, it leaves my plan view undesirable because it shows an invisible wall below the stair (see photos 2A, 2B, 2C)

In an effort to rectify this issue I relocated my breakline which I believe circumvents the issue. (see photo 3A)

Anyone know of another way?

Thanks