Sign in to follow this  
CRHDesign

Cantilevers interferring with flat soffits

Hi there,

I've encountered this problem a few times and I'm not sure exactly what is causing it. When I put cantilevers in, the soffit extends from the edge of the overhang, to the cantilever wall, then slopes back towards the building following the roof pitch. I want the soffit to ignore the cantilever and extend back to the wall without angling. The attached picture shows the problem.

I assume there's a checkbox I'm missing. I've attached the plan, the problem area being on the right side of the house behind the garage. Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

soffit.plan

cant.jpg

The one thing I noticed when selecting that roof plane,  there is a check mark in the Flush Eave, and the default to overhang box is greyed out (although there is a visible check mark) but on the opposing eve (pan south) roof plane over the MB/BATH Flush eve is not checked and default to overhand is.  The only way I could change it was to open the roof plane at the Kitchen, in-check boxed eve then turn it back on and select boxed eve with default to overhang.  I thought it fixed it, but when I pulled a section the soffit still follows the roof slope :-( I guess since I'm not a CA guru, I'll have to default to one who is.  I did try though!

Catilever soffit.PNG

Catilever with flat soffit.PNG

Boxed Eve Turned off.PNG

Boxed eve turned back on.PNG

Boxed eve turned back on.PNG

Yeah, I noticed that too and was playing around with it. Making all the roof planes flush eaves or not didn't fix the problem. 

Thanks for the attempt!

I think the problem lies somewhere in the cantilevers and how they're interacting with the roof. If I delete the cantilevers and put the roof on, I don't see the sloping behavior. Adding the cantilevers back brings the problem back.

I've found soffits rather buggy. Give this a try and see if it works for you.

I made the depth 48", I'll leave it up to you to figure the correct depth.

This is the right side garage wall.

ct1.thumb.jpg.16cbe8064c6ab4bc9243b04fdbd9cb53.jpg

I think because you have been playing with Manual roof planes and have Auto Rebuild off , you need to Force some areas to rebuild in areas you have made changes too, like at the bumpouts on the garage and kitchen and as Eric mentioned , unchecking the default overhang setting ( and uncheck flush eave) and set it to your default overhang distance of 24" and they should rebuild without messing up the Manual Roof planes...  seems to work for me.  Also on the garage bumpout you need to reset the Default wall height and uncheck stop at ceiling boxes on those 3 walls to eliminate the holes.  I didn't go around the whole house, but hopefully that's get most of them....

M.

Capture19.JPG

• Upvote 1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ricatic
    Newest Member
    ricatic

• By CRHDesign
      Is there a room dialog to prevent this from happening? Ideally I want to make the cantilever a "cantilever" room and have it not generate walls under the cantilever with auto rebuild foundation walls on. Unless there is an easier way? Copying the balcony room settings ends up generating walls like the attached picture, still generating walls under cantilever. Feel like I'm missing something very simple.
    • By WhistlerBuilder
      Hi Chiefers,

I am having a weird issue where the roof framing is being generated out of place. It is also ignoring the option to "Trim Framing To Soffits" option and extending the "I Joist" rafters outside of the walls. I have tried all sorts of things to get this fixed and I cant figure it out. Any suggestions?

I attached 3 images of the issue and a copy of the top floor / roof in a separate file (original complete file is HUGE)

Roof Problem.plan
    • By fletcher
      Hey there! I'm having an issue with getting my terrain to show underneath my cantilever in my plan. any suggestions on how to fix this? I've searched through the chief tutorials and forums but could not find an answer to this problem.

• By Doug_N
      I have noticed something strange.  Well strange to me, maybe it makes sense but I can't see why.  I want to make a cathedral ceiling,  The eave facia is deeper than the gable fascia and when I look at an overall view this is what I see.  Is there an easy fix for this?  The attached file is just an experimental file that I was using to learn how to control roof and soffit features.  Also to get roof framing to behave without excessive thinning. 

Test ceiling file.plan
    • By HeartwoodRes
      Hey ChiefTalk, how's everyone doing?

I'm trying to make a 7' tall frameless shower with a partial ponywall on one side and a curb under the rest, as shown in the attached picture.

I've successfully created what I want with two different methods:
      1. Creating glass slab half walls at my desired height, then using soffits to create the ponywall and curb under the glass wall
      2. Using a pony wall, where the bottom half is the 6" tall curb and the top half is my 7' tall glass wall

However, anytime I try to paint a new material onto the soffits (the correct tile finish), the glass wall cuts off half of the soffit, both on the curb and the ponywall (shown in second picture).

Why would the material painter screw up my soffits? It’s not changing anything structurally, just the appearance of the soffits (Right?). I've been instructed both by the reference manual and other users on this forum to use soffits to create simplistic surfaces like this shower curb, so I'm a bit vexed.

p.s. While we’re at it, if anyone has a suggestion for a better way to create a frameless glass shower like this, I’m all ears. This is simply the way that I figured out how to do it myself.

Thanks!