3D Viewer error

warrenwest

HI folks, so suddenly the 3D viewer doesn't want to work any more. I get the "insufficient memory error" when trying to load the HD model ( the DS model works fine ). I thought it just my computer but the clients gets the same on their side. I only have 2 active models in the cloud. Dunno? 

Same problem with the viewer. Except my project is much larger, with over 2.5 million surfaces.

Here is how we solved it...  Send your plan file to the client using WeTransfer (it's free and can forward up to 2Gb of information).

Have your client download the Trial Version of Chief Architect.

I would recommend doing a "back up" of the entire file to a zip folder at first, so that all of the textures are associated with the plan file when your client goes to open it for the first time. After that, you will only need to send the plan file by itself.

On 10/21/2017 at 0:45 PM, warrenwest said:

Its only a 915 square foot apartment! Cant possibly have too much data and if it does then the whole 3D viewer is pretty much useless to me and my clients. :(

What device are you running 3D Viewer on? When you exported the model from Chief, do you remember what the surface count and texture size values were?

Here is an article about how to optimize your chief plan so it can be opened in 3D Viewer if you are running into memory issues:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03044/optimizing-a-chief-architect-plan-for-export-to-the-3d-viewer.html

22 hours ago, VHampton said:

Same problem with the viewer. Except my project is much larger, with over 2.5 million surfaces.

Here is how we solved it...  Send your plan file to the client using WeTransfer (it's free and can forward up to 2Gb of information).

Have your client download the Trial Version of Chief Architect.

I would recommend doing a "back up" of the entire file to a zip folder at first, so that all of the textures are associated with the plan file when your client goes to open it for the first time. After that, you will only need to send the plan file by itself.

Great advice thanks !

19 hours ago, StevenK said:

What device are you running 3D Viewer on? When you exported the model from Chief, do you remember what the surface count and texture size values were?

Here is an article about how to optimize your chief plan so it can be opened in 3D Viewer if you are running into memory issues:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03044/optimizing-a-chief-architect-plan-for-export-to-the-3d-viewer.html

iPad, MacBook Pro and an iMac. Client also has a MacBook pro. Don't remember the surface count. 

While the SD version works fine for general viewing and construction details I really need the HD version ( as in interior designer ) to view all the finishing details. Quite disappointing that the technology is not there yet and I have to resort to the old ways. *sigh* 

In general, the graphics capabilities of mobile devices and web browsers are inferior to those available on a desktop machine. Thus, it sometimes takes some massaging of your Chief model to get a result that will work well in 3D Viewer.

Running out of memory in the 3D Viewer on a mobile device or the web can typically be attributed to one or both of the following:

1) High surface counts

2) Large image files used as textures.

Sometimes, leaving a few items out of an export can dramatically reduce the size of the export. If I'm having memory problems, I'll look for:

1) Symbols with lots of small, complicated surfaces. Things like 3D plants, chandeliers, intricate millwork, accessories with inlaid patterns, etc. often contain A LOT of surfaces and can be hidden or removed without sacrificing much visual appeal. Look for items with a lot of detailed, curved surfaces. You can put them on their own layer and turn the layer off for export.

2) High definition textures. I once came across a model that included an open magazine with a picture that took up half the page. The image for the picture had a resolution of 4096x4096, which is much bigger than the resolution of the iPad on which it was going to be displayed. A single image that size could take up more than 60 MB of memory in the renderer (even though the file itself might be smaller due to compression). For a small detail that is unlikely to ever take up a large portion of the screen, a much smaller image (say,  128x128) would suffice. In my case, I chose to delete the magazine before exporting.