Rendering Benchmark (New Threadripper!)

JonBDesigns

8 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Here is an interesting article that should provide some insight into single versus multi-threaded performance. It also demonstrates that some operations that have been optimized for multi-core processors do not necessarily result in improved performance and in some cases performance is actually degraded.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Solidworks-2016-Multi-Core-Performance-741/

The overall take on this is that it is a complex issue and in this case for Solidworks single thread performance is the most important performance factor other than when rendering.

You can also draw some further conclusions about this and Chief through the many comments concerning performance. The trend is that those with the best single thread performance CPU's seem to be the most satisfied with their system performance for most general Chief functions. For rendering the most satisfied users are those with the highest core count.

To be as satisfied as possible you want the fastest single threaded performance CPU with the most cores you can afford. If to have one is at the expense of the other then you need to think carefully about what you will be sacrificing and whether or not the gain on one side is worth the lose on the other side.

The guys a Puget do a lot of really good research, however I have noticed a company preference towards pushing Intel I7's. I told them a while back that I wanted a dual Xeon system because Chief rendering needs cores--and they disagreed with me and steered me towards the 7700k. I tried a 7700k system for about a week and it was woefully "under-powered" in my opinion. Although CPU speed definetly helps with most general functions, I feel that a fast GPU with an extremely fast SSD like the m.2 960 pro SSD, makes the greatest difference. I cannot believe how fast and reliable library navigation has become since I have started to use the 960 pro!

Peace, 

Jon

1 hour ago, JonBDesigns said:

The guys a Puget do a lot of really good research, however I have noticed a company preference towards pushing Intel I7's. I told them a while back that I wanted a dual Xeon system because Chief rendering needs cores--and they disagreed with me and steered me towards the 7700k. I tried a 7700k system for about a week and it was woefully "under-powered" in my opinion. Although CPU speed definetly helps with most general functions, I feel that a fast GPU with an extremely fast SSD like the m.2 960 pro SSD, makes the greatest difference. I cannot believe how fast and reliable library navigation has become since I have started to use the 960 pro!

Peace, 

Jon

They definitely underestimated your rendering focus and should have recommended a CPU with more cores/threads. They possibly did not understand that Ray Trace is 100% CPU dependent. I can understand their preference for Intel I7's given the level of performance they offer and proven stability. As with any system, it's overall performance is a culmination of having everything right and balanced, not just a powerful CPU. The challenge for most is obtaining this without breaking the bank. You may wish to search the forum for the "Chandelier Test", it's a brutal test but it would be interesting to see how your new system does.

On 9/7/2017 at 9:31 AM, Renerabbitt said:

I'll do the i7 a bit later, and post...these Xeons are a steal on ebay, they pull them out of servers and sell them for 1/5th the market price. Next step was going to be buying another and putting it on a multi mobo like you said. I run it in a mini itx, its an ASRock X99E-ITX/ac LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard.

Curious as to why my 1070 8gb was so much slower than your 1060 6gb...I am pushing 4k resolutions, maybe that has something to do with it?

Yeah, I'm at 1080p max with my 32" monitor.  I am planning to get a 44" or larger TV running at 4K, that will benchmark a lot different I'm sure.

3 hours ago, JonBDesigns said:

I have attached my shopping cart from Microcenter--they no longer have my motherboard in stock so I had to substitute it with something else. 

Peace, 

Jon

ThreadripperSystemCost.PNG

Yikes!  I gotta start saving pennies.

• 2 months later...