Interior Ray Trace, No Windows, Not Good

Dennis_Gavin

I have had pretty good success with ray tracing some bath remodels but I am now working on one with no windows thus no sunlight or outside light. THe results are not very good. The overall look is not great plus am getting light leaks from under vanity cabinets. I did put a roof over the room but that did

not help. I also tried with lights off except for one point light behind the camera but still not happy.

This is one area I think Chief needs to work harder on. I know this could be done well in Thea but I have gotten away from it and don't have it loaded on this laptop.

Does anyone have any recommendations for settings for rooms with no outside light?

One other problem. One camera shot goes through two shower glass panels and the result was to blacken out the area where one panel visually overlayed another. i.e. shooting through two mostly transparent panels gives poor results. I can try another glass panel and see if that helps.

Look at the difference between the RT with a window versus one without.

post-132-0-92627800-1404045897_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-75251100-1404045968_thumb.jpg

If you enable outside lighting at all whether you build a roof or foundation will still produce the leaks. 

The problem is that the ray tracer is calculating the light's path's too accurately. The walls and cabinets have their geometry generated on the fly so what you are seeing is areas where two surfaces are not fully overlapping.

But Chiefer is right in that you don't need to use outside lighting for this scene.

For areas where two glass materials overlap you can try turning on caustics. This will tell the ray tracer to calculate light passing through transparent materials.

Dennis, regarding the 'overall look', if by that you mean the image seems grainy, this could be due to the amount of 'available light' for the scene. The more lights, the crisper it should become. One thing I have noticed, especially with X6, is that ray traces of rooms with daylight entering through a window, or exterior ray traces seem to meet my 'goodness' criteria with 1/3 to 1/2 the number of ray trace passes needed for an 'interior lit' ray trace. Stated differently, you will probably need to at least double the number of ray trace passes to equal the goodness of a well lit scene.