Wall/window delema

johnny

I'm trying to build a wall which has a typical 2x6 framing, but then an additional 2x4 wall framed on the outside for extra wall thickness only 7'6" from the FL.  Id like to get this wall framed in a single wall if possible - however, the difficulty is the windows.

Chief makes it easy to get the window frames to work if i include the 2x4 wall in "main layer" but that doesn't work (i dont think) for the effect I am trying to achieve (see below).  Id love to get the windows to frame though to the outside 2x4 layer.

I've included a basic file (instead of the larger project file) to demo what I am after.  Any help is appreciated.

ledge_issue.png

wall_section.png

issue_wall.plan

33 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Johnny, Did you try setting the extra wall to "Furred" ?  I think this is what you are looking for.

So that would be for individual walls right?...setting the outside wall to "furred".  i was hoping there was a way to do with 1 wall, but you may be right I need 2.  Since the 2nd wall doesn't go up to the ceiling height does that mean I would use a "railing" for the outside "furred" wall?

Just to confirm, I can't do this with 1 wall group?

Might be possible with a Pony wall but I have not tried your situation.  Depends on how it is actually going to be framed.  A railing might be a good idea to use as the Furred wall as it will allow you to control the height.  Just set it up with the layers you need.

Actually the double furred wall seems to be working well - in fact, the rail works great with the fact I can cap it (which was the look i wanted).    Thanks.

The only really odd thing is so far it is doubling up my windows - i am going to have to play around with this but very odd.

When you have a double (furred wall) and you set the window to "doubled" is it actually supposed to produce an extra window on the furred wall?  That is whats happening for me - i have 2 windows.

I've tired all the options and its not working the way I need/or thought.  I wanted to simply have the window be framed through both walls with a deep frame.

9 minutes ago, johnny said:

I've tired all the options and its not working the way I need/or thought.  I wanted to simply have the window be framed through both walls with a deep frame.

Johnny,  It should work fine if the exterior wall is set to "Furred" and the window is set to "Through".  How do you put siding on an air gap?

15 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Johnny,  It should work fine if the exterior wall is set to "Furred" and the window is set to "Through".  How do you put siding on an air gap?

You don't side the air gap Chop, it's just to trick Chief into building the window through both walls.  The problem is that in Johnny's example he's using a pony wall.  Right or wrong, Chief seems to use the main wall definition (the thinner upper wall) to decide how thick to make the window assembly...specifically where to place the casing.  By adding the air gap to the upper wall section, it tells Chief to build the window assembly an extra 3-1/2" thick.  Entiendes?

Thanks to you both.  I'll play around with both options.

ADDED:

So I got the single-wall option to work structurally, but crazy thing is I still can't get the windows to work correctly.  The 2nd floor option does seem to address both issues, but then I have a small area of wall in areas where I wasn't going to even apply the effect.  I suppose that is better than the alternative problems.

Thanks again.