Problems importing anno sets

Michael_Gia

I often import anno sets from a previous file into one that I am working on.

The problem I have is that it seems that the anno sets never import as identical copies from that previous plan. 

I always have to go through and adjust, either layers that are on but should be off or even a text size, etc...

Has anyone else experienced this?  That is, the need to tinker with imported anno sets?

Shouldn't an imported anno set be identical to the plan is was imported from?

I even check, replace duplicate layers and defaults. 

I realize this would be solved in a perfect world if I used templates or a strict SAM approach, but I'm often starting or going back to plans that I've worked on in the past only to go back to them and realize my anno sets have evolved and hence the need to import a more current annotate set group.  

3 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

I realize this would be solved in a perfect world if I used templates or a strict SAM approach, but I'm often starting or going back to plans that I've worked on in the past only to go back to them and realize my anno sets have evolved and hence the need to import a more current annotate set group.  

I here you.  My approach is to work with the anno sets that the original plan is using.  It's too much trouble trying to update the plan to my current anno sets.  

I go back to a set of plans I worked on less than 2 years ago and I wonder what the heck was I doing.  Our methods are always evolving.  Try working with what you have.  Probably not the advice you want.

Michael: where these plans done in earlier versions of Chief ?

I'm sure each release of Chief gets improvements to a major feature like annosets

thus creating these little bumps

probably best to discuss with CA's tech support

as a programmer we constantly had to write code to change the file structure of older programs to meet newer needs

I agree with Scott - stay with the one that brought you to the dance :)

Lew

6 hours ago, dshall said:

I here you.  My approach is to work with the anno sets that the original plan is using.  It's too much trouble trying to update the plan to my current anno sets.  

I go back to a set of plans I worked on less than 2 years ago and I wonder what the heck was I doing.  Our methods are always evolving.  Try working with what you have.  Probably not the advice you want.

Actually, your advice is comforting knowing that it's normal and the approach is, as you say, work with what I have. 

I don't mind, so long as I'm not missing something obvious like some hidden checkbox I forgot to check or uncheck.