Set as Default

mrscott

During the design process I frequently create various configurations of Door / Window trim to present to the client. once they select one, I would love to be able to click the SAVE AS DEFAULT button and have all trim updated (NOT SIZE) throughout the plan. This appears to work with Kitchen cabinets but not Doors and Window trim.

Thoughts?

Using X9

Casing and molding profiles are not dynamic defaults.  This means that when you change a molding in your default object (whether in the specification dialog or by using the Set As Default tool) that any objects already placed in your plan will not be updated automatically.  The molding profile will only be used for new objects.

The casing sizes are dynamic defaults.  You can always tell by the "(D)" that follows the size in the specification dialog.

As far as I know, cabinets, doors, and windows all work the same in this regard.

Dermot,

The Cabinet door and drawer styles change when I set the default. The only issue I can see with this is if I changed the Kitchen Cabinet config and did not want it to impact other cabinetry in the house. Ideally, and since designers often work in Real Time with clients, it would be a HUGE time saver, to make whatever changes we want during the deisgn process, be it Windows and trim, Doors and trim or Cabinetry and trim, and be able to Set the Default by "Room" at that time and have the model update. You have the new ROOM Type DBX so would it be much of a stretch to make this option available within the plan? 

Thanks,

Until you get what you want-For casings there is a new feature in X9 that does something of what you ask for-you can drag a molding profile from the library onto an object in a 3D view and change it instantly. It doesn't have the options of by room or floor that you would find in the material or object painter but pretty fast for a room. Great for "Real Time".

For more complicated configuration issues (custom millwork, lintels, etc) where defaults are not dynamic, I put one of what I need in the library and use "replace from library" in which case you can replace all that are identical (same size etc) -has some advantages