Code Approved Stairs

For all you building code experts in ChiefTalk land, below is an image I recently captured, that shows a very nice circular staircase.  I "think" the picture was taken in Washington D.C., perhaps the Capital building but I have never been there so am only guessing on the location. 

My question is:  If this stairs was built in a residential home, would it meet the IRC 2012 code requirements?  The pertinent code section is IRC 2012 R311.7 Stairways.  I haven't looked at the IBC so I don't know what differences there is between the two codes.

post-191-0-10883900-1402677999_thumb.jpg

If that stairs was located in the ICC building, it would have been more interesting. 

Thanks.

Jim:

I agree. 

My question is related to a project I am working on that includes a large turret that will have a circular stairway between the main and 2nd story.  The height between floors is 16' 1-3/4" thus a landing is required.  Landings for residential stairways are governed by R311.7.6.  What I am questioning is the reason for the landing size change in the 2012 IRC vs. the previous version.  This new change is forcing me into making a larger diameter turret so I can get the stairs to land in the proper location at the 2nd story elevation.

CJ,

Din't have the solution and had just seen this strange stair online. Thought it was unusual. I did look at the Code compliance you referred to and I would be seeking advice as well, or at least check my layout for the required landing. It looks like the landing will push the lower stairs around the center point a bit, but the radius will stay continuous.

Jim:

I agree. 

My question is related to a project I am working on that includes a large turret that will have a circular stairway between the main and 2nd story.  The height between floors is 16' 1-3/4" thus a landing is required.  Landings for residential stairways are governed by R311.7.6.  What I am questioning is the reason for the landing size change in the 2012 IRC vs. the previous version.  This new change is forcing me into making a larger diameter turret so I can get the stairs to land in the proper location at the 2nd story elevation.

I know you're figureing out landings, but note that the railings are guardrail height, 42" above tangent, with a handrail attached per commercial railing requirements. 

Residential code allowes the 32 to 36" handrail to act as guardrail too, nothing higher required, at least here in CA.

The stairway may be more recent than 1860's when US Capitol was built.

The reason I did this post was because I was having a bad hair day understanding the landing size requirements under the 2012 IRC.  An inspector from Clarkston, WA inadvertently hit my light switch and now I think I got it.  The code writers different applications for the word "width" for some reason was giving me trouble.  I guess I need to give the code writers a little slack ... the answer was there ... I just couldn't see it.  Thanks for the replies.