mdarch47

I am having trouble trying to create a standard hollow metal door and frame for a small commercial project I am working on.  See attached details that show the conditions I was going for.  My basic conditions are an existing frame centered in a CMU wall and the same frame where I will later add some wall furring.  I thought I could just make a solid door and size the frame to a 2" x 5.5" rectangle and omit any interior or exterior casings but that doesn't seem to work.  I could add the door stops on later if necessary but I couldn't even get the frames to come in by themselves.  This seems like it should be simple to achieve.  I have experimented in the attached Chief file.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  

PS.  again commercial project related .....my next question is going to be how to create a dropped grid ceiling that I can exactly adjust the grid size and location in each individual room.

1615EX - Copy.plan

MaxAdvantage-PREL-DoorJambs.pdf

I don't find any way, working with the door specification, to model a center-set door-in-frame, which is what you are after for your commercial project.

One could model door-in-frame units in Sketchup or even Chief, and place them as symbols in your plan, the openings done as door openings, but then you'll have to do CAD work to get your elevation views to be what you need in the con docs.

Chief just doesn't do commercial, when it comes to hollow metal doors and frames.

Michael, if you create a wall with no locate or room definition that is 5 1/2 inches you can centre it over the cmu  walls. Put door in those walls and an opening in the cmu wall. If you pull no locate walls towards camera in section view you can adjust height to be no more than opening height so sections don't get lots of extra lines. I also made adjustment to casing depth at -5 1/2". You would need to place door stops manually as well.

Alaskan Son has a video for ceiling grids I believe. If you search the forum it should come up.

1615EX - Copy REVISED.plan