Demr7777

Trimming lines & making blocks

Can anyone help me I am lost on what seems to be some of the most simple task. I am an AutoCad user and I am used to one or two clicks of a mouse and a task is done. Now I am trying to trim a circle at a specific area. I have drawn a line manually through the circle where I want to trim. I figured I will just grab a trim tool like AutoCad has and just click the line and then the part I want trimmed from the line and its done. But no...I can't find a trim or extend tool. I go to help and it begins to walk me through all the steps to trim a line. TrimObject and ExtendObject tools, I followed the steps starting with drawing a cutting line through my circle, then click the cutting trim tool ( that was what was throwing me off, in Autocad you select the tool first then go to work but here it seems you select the lines/circles etc. then the tool appears as an option to work with.)  selected the cutting line and then tried to mouse click the part of the circle to be trimmed thinking it will just vanish on that side of the cutting line. Nothing! Is the cutting line a different line than just drawing a basic line? I'm confused   Please help...

Also on a side note. Making a block out of something. I noticed when I try to select an object with the select tool by grabbing the whole object the make a block tool does not present itself at the bottom of my screen. But if I only grab part of the object using the same method...the tool appears.. Any advice would be great! Thanks

Just tested trim a circle- standard line- be sure the line goes beyond the circle is all. I usually click on the thumbtack (sticky mode) just in case.

For architectural blocking of a single object the easiest method is to Shift Select the object. AFAIK you can't block a 3D object AND text or CAD objects- Text and CAD can make CAD blocks but not Arch Blocks, and visa versa.

As a long time autocad user, I agree that the cad tools are extremely frustrating. It will get better if you stick with it. 

I draw full construction doc's and hardly ever use any cad at all. The reason behind Chief is that you really don't need to draw any cad lines in the plan, elevations, etc. , it's all automatic. The only cad need for me is the cad details ,and I have already drawn those, so really not needed. Every now and again I will need to draw a line in the plan but that's only in special cases.

Us autocad converts need cad tools as a crutch until we get fully integrated. I would not doubt if many users give up and move on because the cad tools are not intuitive. Well maybe familiar is a better word.