GMTinc

Lower shed roofs cutting attic walls

What is the best way to resolve the issue of lower shed or bay roofs, covering projections in gable walls, cutting the automatically generated gable attic wall?  This, I am sure, has been asked before, but I cannot readily find such a thread.  Thanks for your help

Most roof planes can be raised or lowered manually using the "Transform-Replicate dialog" using that dialog's "Move tools"

Te exceptions are Under the Window tools bay and box bay, those roofs are part of a symbol and cannot be separately edited but such symbol windows can be edited by moving its handles in a camera or elevation camera views. Try it and see for yourself

DJP

Thanks for these replies.  I am not in the office at the moment and will check the plan tomorrow afternoon.  I think there is a basic misunderstanding in the last reply.   The problem is as foolows:

1.  There is a cantilevered area on a gable, which requires its own shed roof.  When a roof plane is manually built, the attic wall and frieze, above it dissappears.  

2.  I have tried to lower the roof plane at its upper reach where it contacts the waa. The thought being that it intersects too deeply into the wall; however, that makes no difference.  If the plane is completely removed, then, as expected all the wall of the projection extend up to the rafters.

3.  It occurs to me I may need to use a room divider to make the projection a separate room, even though it is just part of a room, in order to avoid this behavior.  I have not tried that.  It is a possible solution in keeping with some of the bizarre ans inobvious efforts that often have to be made tp get auto,ated  CAD programs to generate properly.  Such thing are never well documented.  I usually avoid such things by avoiding all but the very basic auto,ated features, but in this instance I was trying to explore better how the program would handle such a situation

if you have more advice on the strength of what I have presented here, it is ,ost welcome. Otherwise, I will try the separate room gambit tomorrow.

As always thanks

Gary

Probably no one is still monitoring this thread, but I thought I would add the results of my experimentation.

If I continue the exterior wall straight through the bump out for the shed, the attic wall draws properly along with the freize etc.  However if I break that wall at each side of the bump out, the attic wall will still draw correctly.  But, if I then change that broken segment into a invisible wall, the attic wall and frieze split above it as with the initial problem.  This appears to be the issue anytime the room below, in any plan, is extended out and has a floor, such as a manually drawn bay or shed.  I am sure there is a solution for this, but as I indicated, I normally do not use automated elevations and therefore have little experience with such unexpected behaviors.  I know many, if not most, chief users do use those features and doubtless know how to handle this situation.  It is difficult to add unusual detail to automated elevations, in my past experience, and that is why I have avoided them; however, recent new features and improvements have made such possibilities more practical and I have seen some very good examples of such work....I just do not know enough about how some of it is accomplished and I have found not much in the way of instruction.  So, please help an old guy get up to speed.

I have managed to get the gable walls to close but am unable to edit the frieze to go over those areas.  I unlocked the roof trim layer, but when I attempt to edit, the line edits but the frieze does not appear on the newly edited line except to the extent as before the edit.  I also have no real clue as to how I closed the attic wall gap.  I was attempting to manually edit the gable attic walls (there are two, one on each side of the shed projection).  I was having no luck until one of the adjustments worked and I am not sure what it was.  I am sure there is a better way to approach this situation.  One other matter.  This is a long wall with a gable in the middle, which does not extend to either end of the wall.  The balance of the wall is eave wall in terms of roof.  If that makes any particular difference.  I can attempt to replicate the original issue and post a plan, if that will truly be a help.

Gary