MBagshaw

Imported material (JPEG) not rendering correctly in raytrace

Hi folks,

I have struck an odd problem I've never experienced before displaying imported materials correctly using raytrace. I imported a JPEG containing the attachedimage of white marble, and while it shows up fine in all other views (3D camera, for example), in raytrace it shows up as a red/pink colour without any of the marble detail (see attached). In this example I am using the material on a solid that was created using poly line solid then converted to a solid. I have imported lots of other materials including the timber in the background of the attached screenshot and they have always displayed correctly in raytrace until now. It doesn't seem to make any difference how long I leave the raytrace to run (this one was produced after about 90 passes – the advantages of a fast processor!).

Any ideas? Cheers,

post-11160-0-28784200-1478073076_thumb.png

post-11160-0-48084200-1478073126_thumb.jpg

Can you attach the plan (or at least the material definition as a library item)?

Is the fireplace something you've imported as well?  Looks like one of those Sketchup double-sided polygone SNAFUs

Hi Jon,

The fireplace itself (i.e. the flame, the box and the stainless steel frame around it) was imported from sketch up, but the whole chimney and the marble feature were created as poly line solids in CA then converted into solids.

I tried to attach the plan itself But it is too large (90 MB). Can anybody give me any guidance on what I should be looking for in the plan that is making the file so big? That would also account for the fact that is now taking forever to rebuild the 3D perspectives.

Cheers,

Hi Mark,  Give this a try, it seems to work fine for me.  If your original  .jpg is more that 96 dpi you could make your own library material with higher resolution.

post-4797-0-81287700-1478153509_thumb.jpg

Marbel For Mark.calibz

Hi Chopsaw,

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Whatever you did to my image, you fixed it so it now works perfectly in my plan. What exactly did you do to make it work?

I did not expect it to work perfectly as there are a lot of custom settings you can tweak for Raytracing but I did get rid of that awful purple mess.  Right click on your Library User Catalog and that will bring up the "Define Material" Dialogue (The Tea Party).  Go to the Texture tab and give it a name but don't spell it wrong like I did.  Browse to where you have that .JPG file that you posted.  Set it to "Stretch to Fit" and anything else you would like to play with in Properties and you are all set to put that in your Library when you say OK.  And you can also do a quick Ray Trace test right in the DBX.

post-4797-0-13974300-1478158830_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-18913000-1478158831_thumb.jpg

I guess I'm a little too late, I have the exact same picture for a marble texture in my custom library and never had issues with it, as much as I like the chief library I tend to download images and create my own.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    RichRidgewood
    Newest Member
    RichRidgewood

• By kingsgate
      Hello,

I have the HTC vive, steam set up and am able to tour my projects, but it renders with weird flashes of black, sometimes a rainbow effect, usually fairly blurry. I have all lights, shadows and reflections turned off. Any suggetions on how to fix this? 

• By Renerabbitt
      Open to new work. I've been working remotely for clients for years and can easily navigate the issues that present themselves from remote work. I have plenty of references and videos demonstrating my various services. The following images are snippets from my site at www.RabbittDesign.net

I offer training-while-drafting services in Chief Architect as well as training in Sketchup, Thea Render, Photoshop, Premiere Pro and Procreate.
      I tend to cater to experienced designers and drafters in Chief Architect, many of which benefit from and are quite pleased with anno/layer sets, library items, toolbars, and a more cohesive folder structure and .plan and .layout files. 
      A few hours of my service may cut hours off of every project you have going forward.
      Feel free to check out my YouTube channel dedicated to all things drafting, designing, modeling and rendering in my signature below.
      Take a look at some of my recent design work in the Gallery
      Also, take a look at the extensive Free Content Thread and continued free content YouTube Series:

• By Chiefer
      X12 RT. 10 passes 14 min
    • By chrisped
      I have a home design that I am working on in home designer professional 2020.  Would eventually like to get it completed and then a set of construction prints for Nashville, Tennessee.  whidh means I will need floor plans and elevation views as well as a plot plan.  I have the plot drawn with some contour lines in the drawing I have developed.  The house faces about due west (not the best but that is the lot I have.    I have attached a picture of what I want the exterior rendering to look like.  Looking for job bid.  The plan file is zipped and attached.  Following needs to get done and then a front rendering and the file returned with the updates.  (Can pay via paypal etc)  
      1. Master bedroom vaulted ceiling following rafters up to height of 12 feet then flat across.  House rafters will be 2x8 or 2x6 depending on span.  
      2. Fix the roof planes
      3. Shed roof with 2 in 12 slope over the back deck.  Extends out about even with the master.  This is asphalt shingles.  Ceiling will follow the rafters
      4. The peaks (side and front larger dormer) should be board and batten not sided, the rest of the house sided, the foundation walls are stone
      5. Make sure chimney carries through to the roof from fireplace in family room.  Chimney is stone where it can be seen outside of house.
      6. The basement foundation walls connecting to the crawl space (unfinished area) should be only 5' tall (it would just be in one area)
      7. Front porch is to have a metal roof, rest of house is asphalt shingles (charcoal color but not black)
      8. Stairs should be 42" wide and should be fixed . Want them closed underneath. Somehow I cant get this to look right
      9. Need a front rendering showing view of the house for presentation to client
      10. Need file updated to reflect these changes and has to be readable with Home Designer Pro 2020
      11. Floor deck for both the first and second floor are 11-7/8 TJI with 3/4 subfloor (I think I have this right).

At any rate, looking for quote to get this done.  Thanks for looking.
      House Design Front Walkout.zip

• By Texas_Chief_Pros
      Tutoring Services Architectural Drafting and Detailing Reinforced Concrete Drafting and Design Structural Drafting Services Architectural Presentation Drawings Floor Plan Drafting Services Landscape CAD Drawings Services CAD Conversion Services Kitchen and Bath Remodels 3D Design Services Rendering Services Tiny Home Design