"Layout" Layer Sets Automatically Generating

olyconstruction

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

Hi Chiefs,

I am not sure what is going on here. It seems that recently when I export a view to layout I get this message (attached) saying that the view now references the "Layout Set" in my plan. I never created this Layout Set, and CA is making a new copy of that set for every view I export (I think I am at Layout Set 7 now).

Does anyone know why this could be happening and what I can do to get it to stop?

Your help is greatly appreciated, so thank you!  :)

AB

post-4666-0-19582300-1477941512_thumb.jpg

I like it because my layout requirements are typically not very consistent from one to the next and neither are the views I send there. Create copy allows me to quickly and easily modify layer display on-the-fly on a view by view basis without having to keep track of how it will affect other views.

If I want a handful of views to use the same layer set it's easy enough to change the name of one of the copies and use that instead either when sending to layout or by simply switching the layer set of any given view.

I guess I just like the freedom. My style of drawing is just a lot more freestyle because my layout needs vary greatly from one job or task to the next. If you're making heavy use of the S.A.M. or a template method that re-uses both a plan and layout than Make Copy may not be quite as useful. I think it's real strengths come into play when creating layouts as you go...or maybe if you're using only the layout or only the plan as a template, but probably not both.

I think Michael is the only one using this "feature"

back in ver 10 I had a client who was using it and it caused me no end of grief

mainly because I didn't even know about it - nor did the client

when I got the plan there were 20+ copies of everything

after working for some time and making changes I would find out that

those changes appeared in some views and not others

client starts hollering "I thought you made that change"

I'm hollering back "I did"

once I realized what was going on I got rid of all those "copies"

and have avoided them ever since

If you are still interested work with Michael to understand how they work, or ....

Lew