DanOfEarth

Saving prices and/or comments in material list

Sorry guys if this has been covered but I've scoured the forums. I can't seem to save material costs and comments anywhere.

I've seen a reference to a master list....don't see it.

I've also seen somebody gripe that you CAN save prices in said master list but not comments and such.

Granted I've own the $99 home suit and not architectural or pro.

Do I need to upgrade for this feature or am I missing something?

I have no idea, never owned home suite. ask sales on Monday.

Same techniques. Generate material List, select item on that material list e.g. 11 (Left Click on that item number "11" ), go to tools and "update to master"

Now open Master material List -> and update the price, etc. See here

Keep in mind that the material list will only be as accurate as your model. If you make mistakes drawing your plans it will be reflected in the material list. I personally do not use the material list as my builders want 2-D drawings only. I use some place holders (Cabinets) in my drawings and if you where to take a camera view of the inside it would reflect that.

Yeah I think I would have to upgrade to Architectural or Pro because when I click onto Tools while on the materials list.....with a line-item highlighted....the tools drop-down only has the "Display..." choice.

That's a bit hockey to leave that feature out of Home Suite.

We're actually only using this program for rehab projects so the materials list will NEVER be accurate when we're just adding and removing interior walls. But this would be handy for some pricing. Hmmm.

Yep....talked to support and only Pro has the "Master List" feature where you can save material costs and comments. Otherwise you have to retype them every time.

I did mention that revealing this secret in the videos would be very handy for us ignorant folk. 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Boots9
    Newest Member
    Boots9

• By ccarpenter18
      In X12 I've noticed that when using Structural Member Reporting in a material list, the price column in the list does not appear to be sensitive to whether a "per unit" or "per length" calculation is being performed by the material list.  In both cases, the material list appears to use the same Price variable in the Component Panel of each object.  Does anyone know of some Ruby scripting that could be used to correct this?  Off hand, I'm thinking of a macro inserted into the Price variable on the Component Panel of each structural member that would use the Material List row context to report a price that depends on how the row wants to use the Price.
    • By ChiefuserDRB
      Trying to figure out how the material list works and generates its numbers, Am a student and still relatively new at chief. Below is a project have been working on and this is the first time I have been asked to do a full material list. Have watched all the tutorials on it but cannot seem to find out why its giving such long 2x6 boards. The plan is attached below to look at. 

Litchtman Chief plan 1-23-19.plan
    • By Reelfast1
      I am looking to set up X10 to create material lists for us instead of us filling out the material list with pen an paper after we "build" the house in chief. I have uploaded an example of our material list that we fill out by hand. Example 1.1 shows it filled out for a house we built and example 1.2 is the same but blank. Example 2.1 is a different version of the material list that we use as well. Is there a way to create like two different "defaults" for material lists so when I pull a plan from our base files it will auto-generate to make the material list? OR do I have to set up it per house, every time? Also what are the basic steps to create a materials list that will be closely similar to what I have attached here to show as a example if any? We are trying to stream line our process for ordering up materials and would like to have Chief figure out all the materials that are on the examples I provided. Any tips, tricks, advice would be greatly appreciated.
      Example 1.2.pdf
      Example 2.1.pdf
      Example 1.1.pdf
    • By srjbb97
      I have watched the tutorial video for finding the material off the material list in your plan. When I click on the material and went to the bottom toolbar to hit find in plan button it was not there. Is the button elsewhere for Chief Architect Premier X9??
    • By CA-CHRIS
      hello,

i'm having trouble trying to set up my material list. 

we sell storage brackets that hang on a slat wall.  i've attached props to those brackets to give the customer an idea of what things will look like and how to utilize the brackets.  i combined the brackets with the props via architectural block that i then saved to my library.  the problem is that i want to treat the bracket/prop as one object (i was able to do that via right clicking the architectural block and selecting open object.  i then had to put the name of the bracket in the optional description field so it doesn't just show up as "architectural block" in the material list).  everything seemed to be working great, but i soon found out that those changes i made only applied to the object on the screen and didn't save to the user library.  therefore, when i select a bracket from the library for a new drawing, it sends the items to the material list with the prop and it's not treated as one object in the material list.  also, when i click on the architectural block in the library, i can't right click and select open object.  i then decided to go into the components tab and assign the bracket to a fixture id and the prop to a general id (hoping that i could tell the material list to display one, but not the other.  i also checked the use field for the bracket and left it unchecked for the prop item. however, both print in the material list).  i just want to show all the brackets they want to buy and not clutter the material list with a host of props.

any help would be much appreciated!

God bless!