Braced Wall Question, Please see charts attached.

zowie123

Hi, 

I'm just wondering.

Question 1:

Please See chart:

Single story, D2 seismic category, 20 foot braced wall line WSP wall.  requires a minimum continuous braced wall of 4.3'  10' from a side with no more than 20' between.

Also Requirements for D2 say braced wall panels must be located at each end of braced wall line.

Being that my minimum wall panel is 4.3' along this line, and it says I need one within 10ft of each end, that means I actually need 8.6ft of braced wall along this line.  

Is there any other prescriptive way around this?

Question 2:

When using the apa braced wall calculator and one wall is non compliant, does that automatically discount a prescriptive approach,or do I continue to finish my model and hope that it calculates differently based on the total amount of walls?

Thank you,

Barry

post-933-0-73112700-1475871499_thumb.jpg

You could have one 4.3' wall near the center or a 2.2' wall within the first 10' at each end.

Hi William 

so that was exactly what I was wondering...but a 2.2' wall at each end is not a  continuous 4.3' wall is it?

With a WSP wall, the whole thing is sheathed at the same nailing pattern, the only difference with the minimum is that it's a continuous full height minimum.  

But  you're right if the wall is only 20 ft, than it can be in the middle and meet the 10 ft in requirements.

Thank you Jeff and William for your consideration,

Barry

Barry,

You have the methods backwards.

The Continuous sheathing needs to be completely sheathing  and follow fig.R602.10.5 and table R602.10.5.2 , I think this method is more difficult to figure out but uses less wall.

WSP method you only need portions of walls sheathed the remaining can be other materials.

Either method can use one or two or more walls to achieve the total.

I do the structural engineering on about half of my projects.

Barry can you post your braced wall detail (You will have to supply it to the Bldg. Dept. anyway)? If that wall you are concerned about has a wall aligned within 4' of each side of the wall that you are concerned about it is considered one "Braced Wall Line". It can be an interior walls, exterior walls or both. Also depending on the circumstance you are allowed to add hold downs also. I have done two prescriptive path designs but as with most designs I had to have the garage walls engineered at a cost of $150.00 instead of $1600.00 for the entire plan..