Butler type metal building defaults?

Clemsongrad

Well I just took the plunge and purchased CA yesterday after weeks of training videos and lots of questions.

My first project is a simple butler type metal building for a children's camp. The building is an assembly building with a foyer and stage platform total size of 72' x 100'

It is in north Texas, slab on grade with a 2x4 insulated wall inside with carpet finish up to 8' and bare plywood above that.

Metal siding and horizontal girts.

It will have decorative trusses and corbels at the main entry to go with the camps cottage and nautical look.

At first glance I did not see a template for this type of building other than commercial. Does anyone know if there is a template for this type of building among the Chief Talk community or elsewhere?

Any suggestions on how to get started?

Thank You

Larry

This is how I do metal buildings:

1. Review the metal building manufacturer's drawings. Make sure you understand the column layout, how the columns relate to the slab, the wall and roof systems, etc.Ensure the drawings are correct - at least relative to the architectural intent - because metal building designers aren't perfect. Are the sidewall girts flush, inset, or outset? Where does the exterior face of the cladding fall in relation to the slab edge?

2. Draw the slab.

3. Lay out the column gird. I also create 2D CAD blocks of each column and base - I find it helps me when it comes time to design the interior build-out.

4. Create a wall type for the exterior walls; I include everything, from the exterior cladding to the interior liner panel, or in your case, the 2x4 infill wall assembly. Draw this around the slab perimeter. Cut a section to ensure you've got the wall elements lining up correctly in relation to the slab edge.

5. If there is a mezzanine I create a second floor; otherwise throw on the roof, then cut a section to verify you've got the assembly and heights correct.

The rest is just normal stuff; lay out your interior, put in the windows, doors, and what-not. Special exterior elements like your entry trusses can be tacked on without much trouble. I manually create my wall sections because around here we have to detail the building's thermal envelope; this is why it's really important to have a complete understanding of the manufacturer's wall and roof systems, the insulation strategy, etc.

Hey Larry,

Usually when I set my exposed fastener material I use the rainbow tool to resize the texture and pattern to be more accurate.

If you want to save these preferences, just add the adjusted material to your library.

See attached.

post-237-0-19533600-1475687327_thumb.png

post-237-0-42370000-1475687333_thumb.png

post-237-0-23921400-1475687338_thumb.png