Dormer through Ceiling Plan

country

I am trying to have the dormers open through the ceiling plane but after trying numerous methods haven't been about to do it.  I cannot seem to generate a hole through the ceiling at the locations I require.

This is currently just a design but will eventually have steel trusses.  I could just do a thick roof structure but I would rather do it correct for eventual framing.

Barn.zip

You can do this by using the rectangular polyline tool, outlining your dormer, and then converting it to a "Hole in Roof / Custom Ceiling". 

Once converted, it'll actually create two separate polylines. One for your main roof, and the other for your dormer. Simply delete the polyline for the dormer. 

Within the hole properties, you can select your cut style preference (square, plumb etc).

post-12316-0-32244500-1468173215_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

I have the "Interiors" version of the program and need to do the same thing.  I am designing an unfinished attic which has a side dormer.  I have reviewed many videos, figured out how to place the walls, but they kept disappearing.  I finally learned that a hole would allow them to project, but my version does not list very many options for converting poly-lines.  In my screenshot, you can see that creating a hole in the roof is not possible. 

I made a skylight, but I don't see how a roof can be made over the dormer when a skylight is there.  I need this dormer to have a gable roof with an open ceiling above it so that it will match what is actually there.  Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of this attic, only measurements.

What can I do to make this cathedral ceiling in dormer that my client wants me to finish and re-purpose? 

Thanks!

post-12250-0-94082500-1471620289_thumb.png

I don't believe I figured it out!  I realized that if the skylight had to be made on the first floor of this 1 1/2 story home, then maybe the roof opening option would also be available on the first floor and it worked!  Now to match the hole with the walls on the second floor.  Fun, fun, fun!!

I have the "Interiors" version of the program and need to do the same thing. .....

My take on this is if you are a professional,  get the full blown version.  The amount of money you are saving selecting the dumbed down version,  is quickly lost when you run into a situation that will not work with the the dumbed down version.  Your time is valuable.   Get the pro version...   in no time you would of made  your money back in spades.

I purchased the Interiors version thinking that it was going to be all I needed as an Interior Designer.  I was wrong.  I really enjoy learning how things work, why and seeing a project come together.  I decided in my first month of use to get the full version as soon as possible.  Thanks!  I will be!

As an Interior Designer, I'm sure you will be doing lots of structural changes (such as your dormer) or additions and those can only be done properly with the pro version. Chief has a payment plan and you get the purchase price of your current program taken off of the total cost. I'm sure Sales could work something out for you. As Scott said, your time is valuable. As you can see, people on this forum will also be a valuable asset if you are using the full version.