Auto Truss creation in Chief, shear surfaces instead of compression fits.

IvanCyr

Good day,

I do mainly modelling in Chief and my framing expert on Chief is away on vacation.  I was wondering if I could solicit some assistance.  It is a framing question regarding why Chief builds the trusses shown on page A7 of the attached file the way it does and how I can force the software to build it differently.

Effectively, looking at the layout page A7 or the quick screen shot provided in the attachment below will indicate that the trusses are loaded at their bases as a shear stress.  Clearly a compression fit would provide a more structurally sound design.  The next joint above is auto generated in a similar manner.

Is there a quick fix to auto generate the trusses in a more favourable manner?

I would attach the plans.....but for some reason it won't upload (it is a very small cabin type design)....I'm sure there's a reason that I've simply forgotten.  I'll look into why that is.....why it won't upload....not why I've forgotten cuz I'm sure age might have something to do with it! :D

Thanks,

Ivan

BunkieF.layout

post-110-0-43591800-1464106062_thumb.png

There are no trusses that I can see. However, the rafters are simply following the lines of the roof. The condition where they meet the floor is simply the condition of the fascia at the floor, and is the way the model was built.  You will probably be better off just making a p-solid for each rafter to get the cuts to be correct. (Make one and copy it.) I don't know of any way to get a horizontal flat condition at the fascia to get things to auto-frame correctly. A user-defined roof edge angle would be a good suggestion for the program, though! 

Hi Shane.  First post had layout files....the second post in is "me" again....with the .plan file attached in a zipped folder.  Was that what you were looking for?  Ivan

There are no trusses that I can see. However, the rafters are simply following the lines of the roof. The condition where they meet the floor is simply the condition of the fascia at the floor, and is the way the model was built.  You will probably be better off just making a p-solid for each rafter to get the cuts to be correct. (Make one and copy it.) I don't know of any way to get a horizontal flat condition at the fascia to get things to auto-frame correctly. A user-defined roof edge angle would be a good suggestion for the program, though! 

Thx Richard for providing some feedback.  I was hoping Chief would "create" some simple type truss I suppose....at least with some minimalistic reality to the load bearing surfaces!  There are about 7 different trusses due to the dormers....so cut and paste is of little value.

I agree about the user defined roof edge angle....it would be nice.

Ivan

Might anyone else have a different workaround or a preset/default input that they could suggest?  Thx in advance.

Ah....seems simple enough on the ends....but the cut and paste method doesn't do much good when one gets to the dormers and 48" skylight..... :(

Shane, I'm going to send you a PM.

Ivan

post-110-0-73823700-1464125264_thumb.png